Splunk Search

Regex replace field text

g_paternicola
Path Finder

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if this kind of search is possible. I want to replace the text from my search which looks like this:

eventtype=zyxel_user sourcetype="zyxel-fw" msg="Failed login attempt to Device from *"
| stats count by msg
| rex field=msg mode=sed "s/'Failed login attempt to Device from ssh (incorrect password or inexistent username)'/SSH/g"

Basically, I want to get instead of this long string  (Failed login attempt to Device.....) just SSH, so I can create a Pie Chart with this information. 

Is that possible?

Thank you very much for helping me!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @g_paternicola,

why didn't you  try your search? it seems to be almost correct:

you have only to escape special chars as ():

eventtype=zyxel_user sourcetype="zyxel-fw" msg="Failed login attempt to Device from *"
| stats count by msg
| rex field=msg mode=sed "s/Failed login attempt to Device from ssh \(incorrect password or inexistent username\)/SSH/g"

You could also explore the replace command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Replace)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

g_paternicola
Path Finder

Hi Giuseppe, my name is also Giuseppe 🙂

I didn't thought about search, thank you! Ohh man, I tried to escape, but I put just one \ at the beginning and not also at the end. 

Just in case I have more of this kind of strings, do I also have to put for each one (e.g. FTP, HTTP, etc..) a different sed command?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Giuseppe,

it's a pleasure to know you!

Anyway, if you have to replace many strings, you could create a lookup containing all these pairs for transformations and use it with the lookup command.

I don't like it, but you could also create an automatic lookup so everytime  you have there strings they are automatically changed.

Ciao Giuseppe

P.S.: if you're italian, there's finally a Splunk User Group also in Italy;

Karma Points are appreciated ;-).

g_paternicola
Path Finder

Yes, I could use a lookup command but for now I'm gonna use the replace command :). But in the future if the results are gonna be bigger and bigger with more than only ssh, ftp and http, then yes, I will use the lookup command in order to automate it... thank you!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @g_paternicola,

why didn't you  try your search? it seems to be almost correct:

you have only to escape special chars as ():

| stats count by msg
| rex field=msg mode=sed "s/Failed login attempt to Device from ssh \(incorrect password or inexistent username\)/SSH/g"

You could also explore the replace command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Replace)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...