Splunk Search

Regex, and extracting the IP + hostname from _internal

oliverj
Communicator

One of my ongoing gripes with splunk is that there is no way to see the IP and the hostname -- either my forwarder sends a hostname, or an IP. Not both. I know the information is there, as I can see it in the _internal splunkd log.
So, I was trying to make a list of all IP+hostnames out of this list:

index=_internal uri=* component=HttpPubSubConnection

Result:

HttpPubSubConnection - Running phone uri=/services/broker/phonehome/connection_ipaddress_8089_instancename_hostname_FAB4D96E-5A4A-4593-8914-635506217E40

In the URI, it has the ip and a hostname. So, I want to extract this!
In the splunk field extractor, I type my own regex,

^(?:[^_]+_){4}(?P<internal_ip>[^_ ]+)

This works great! It shows all my matches, I save it, run my search, all is well.

Now if I do the same without the props.conf:

index=_internal uri=* component=HttpPubSubConnection | regex  "^(?:[^_]+_){1}(?P<internal_ip>[^_ ]+)" | table internal_ip

Nothing.
I could do it all via props.conf, but there are so many situations where that regex matches outside the specific search I want to run that I figured it was much more efficient to just do the regex in the search string. But, no extraction seems to be happening.
Any suggestions?

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The regex command does not do field extractions. Use rex, instead.

... | rex field=uri "[^_]+_(?P<internal_ip>[^_ ]+)_\d+_[^_]+_(?<hostname>[^_]+)" | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The regex command does not do field extractions. Use rex, instead.

... | rex field=uri "[^_]+_(?P<internal_ip>[^_ ]+)_\d+_[^_]+_(?<hostname>[^_]+)" | ...
---

oliverj
Communicator

That was exactly what I needed. Thank you.

0 Karma

oliverj
Communicator

To anyone who finds this post later -- this is a terrible search. I just realized it only pulls data from hosts that use deployment servers, not all UniversalForwarders. So anything that sends without being a part of the deployment server (for us, hundreds of devices we don't own) will not show up. Sigh.

But the search/extraction still works great! Just...back to the drawing board.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try component=tcpinconnection.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...