Splunk Search

Regex after delimited field extraction

tnkoehn
Path Finder

After a delimited field extraction in transforms.conf, I have a field called Gateway_Name that contains, for example, a value of "den01gsx01". I am trying to perform a regex on that field in props.conf to extract "den01". I was told I could to it this way but I do not even get a Site field extracted.

My props.conf looks like this:
[test]
REPORT-parsefields = test_parse
EXTRACT-site = (?<Site>^\w{5}) in Gateway_Name

My transforms.conf looks like this:
[test_parse]
DELIMS = "|"
FIELDS = "Event_Header", "Gateway_Name", "Accounting_ID", "Start_Date", "Start_Time", "Disconnect_Date", "Disconnect_Time", "Call_Duration", "Disconnect_Reason", "Service_Delivered", "Call_Direction", "Calling_Number", "Called_Number", "Billing_Number", "Route_Label"

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

REPORT runs after EXTRACT as sowings says, but you can quite simply get the effect you want by setting up your EXTRACT-site rule as a REPORT instead. REPORTS are processed in lexicographic order, so you can just do props.conf:

[test]
REPORT-site = site

which will run REPORT-site/site after REPORT-parsefields/test_parse. Then in transforms.conf, you would add:

[site]
SOURCE_KEY = Gateway_Name
REGEX = (?<Site>^\w{5})

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

REPORT runs after EXTRACT as sowings says, but you can quite simply get the effect you want by setting up your EXTRACT-site rule as a REPORT instead. REPORTS are processed in lexicographic order, so you can just do props.conf:

[test]
REPORT-site = site

which will run REPORT-site/site after REPORT-parsefields/test_parse. Then in transforms.conf, you would add:

[site]
SOURCE_KEY = Gateway_Name
REGEX = (?<Site>^\w{5})

tnkoehn
Path Finder

Worked great! Thx!

0 Karma

tnkoehn
Path Finder

Ah. That's pretty cool. I will try this on Monday. Thanks!

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

REPORT rules fire after EXTRACT rules; the Gateway_Name field won't exist to look for Site within it (EXTRACT-site). Consider a regular expression that's anchored on the delimiter.

You can try something like ([^|])*|){<N>} where N is the number of pipe-separated fields to skip. Looks like it should be 1.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...