Splunk Search

Regex Help

bcanfield83
Engager

Hello,

I'm attempting to use the regex command to filter out any records on the "user" field that do not match the written expression below:

index=myindex sourcetype=traceability_log4net earliest=-10d 
| regex _raw="user=[a-z]{3,6}[a-z1-9]{1,2}" 
| table user

Per the expression, there should not be any "user" records that exceed 8 characters. However, the non-matching values are not being filtered out.

"sstevenson6111", for example,  should theoretically be listed as "sstevens" per the expression.

regex_user-table.PNG

I'm sure there's something blindingly obvious that I'm missing! 😳

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your regex is matching against the _raw field. It it looking for a string in the _raw field which could be anywhere in the _raw field matching the expression user=[a-z]{3,6}[a-z1-9]{1,2} , for example:

notuser=abc1@nowhere

user=sstevenson6111

All your examples match this expression

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The regex command passes what matches the specified expression.  To filter them out, use !=.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...