Splunk Search

Regex Help: How to search all events with the selected values from two drop-downs on my dashboard?

alan20854
Path Finder

Hi,

I am creating a dashboard with 2 drop-downs, one for Services and the other for Methods, and I want the search to look for all events with the selected Service and Method.

However, the values in the drop-downs do not perfectly match what I am looking for. For example, one of the services in the drop-down may show - Enrollment Web Service (NRLMT_WS) and the method may be - Get Enrollments (GET_NRLMT) , but in my search , I want to look for all events where Service = NRLMT_WS AND Method = GET_NRLMT.

Considering that all the options in the drop-downs are in this format: their description and then its key phrase in parentheses, what is the search for this?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The description of your dropdown can be different from the string value of that goes into the associated token. So have the description be Enrollment Web Service (NRLMT_WS), the token value be NRLMT_WS. Then have your search be like this:

... Service="$Service_Token$" Method="$Method_Token$"

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The description of your dropdown can be different from the string value of that goes into the associated token. So have the description be Enrollment Web Service (NRLMT_WS), the token value be NRLMT_WS. Then have your search be like this:

... Service="$Service_Token$" Method="$Method_Token$"

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this for your service and method dropdown (rest all same)

<input type="dropdown" token="service1" searchWhenChanged="true">
   <label>Service</label>
   <search>
     <query>| inputlookup Lookup.csv | search source="$source1$" | stats count by service | table service | rex field=service "\((?<service_value>[^\)]+)\)" </query>
   </search>
   <fieldForLabel>service</fieldForLabel>
   <fieldForValue>service_value</fieldForValue>
 </input>
 <input type="dropdown" token="method1" searchWhenChanged="true">
   <label>Method/Operation</label>
   <search>
     <query>| inputlookup Lookup.csv | search (source = "$source1$" AND service = "*($service1$)")| stats count by method | table method | rex field=method "\((?<method_value>[^\)]+)\)" </query>
     <earliest>0</earliest>
   </search>
   <fieldForLabel>method</fieldForLabel>
   <fieldForValue>method_value</fieldForValue>
 </input>
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you've static values in the dropdowns OR it's being populated using a query? In both cases you can have "value" portion to use the value inside parenthesis.

Other option would be to update your panel search to do the regex/transformation of the selected value. Could you post your dashboard xml, with searches being used?

0 Karma

alan20854
Path Finder

Hi somesoni2,

Here is my current dashboard XML:

External Interfaces

<input type="dropdown" token="source1" searchWhenChanged="true">
  <label>Source</label>
  <search>
    <query>| inputlookup Lookup.csv | stats count by source | table source</query>
  </search>
  <fieldForLabel>source</fieldForLabel>
  <fieldForValue>source</fieldForValue>
</input>
<input type="dropdown" token="service1" searchWhenChanged="true">
  <label>Service</label>
  <search>
    <query>| inputlookup Lookup.csv | search source="$source1$" | stats count by service | table service</query>
  </search>
  <fieldForLabel>service</fieldForLabel>
  <fieldForValue>service</fieldForValue>
</input>
<input type="dropdown" token="method1" searchWhenChanged="true">
  <label>Method/Operation</label>
  <search>
    <query>| inputlookup Lookup.csv | search (source = "$source1$" AND service = "$service1$")| stats count by method | table method</query>
    <earliest>0</earliest>
  </search>
  <fieldForLabel>method</fieldForLabel>
  <fieldForValue>method</fieldForValue>
</input>
<input type="time" token="time" searchWhenChanged="true">
  <label>Last Transaction Time</label>
  <default>
    <earliest>@d</earliest>
    <latest>now</latest>
  </default>
</input>

<panel>
  <event>
    <title>Most Recent Event</title>
    <search>
      <query>Service = $service1$ Method = $method1$|sort -_time | head 1</query>
      <earliest>$time.earliest$</earliest>
      <latest>$time.latest$</latest>
    </search>
    <option name="count">10</option>
    <option name="list.drilldown">full</option>
    <option name="list.wrap">1</option>
    <option name="maxLines">5</option>
    <option name="raw.drilldown">full</option>
    <option name="rowNumbers">0</option>
    <option name="table.drilldown">all</option>
    <option name="table.wrap">1</option>
    <option name="type">list</option>
    <fields>["host","source","sourcetype"]</fields>
  </event>
</panel>
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...