Splunk Search

Regex Error

rahiparikh
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to use simple regex to find clients with specific IPs. My regex looks like

status=404 | regex host=*10.\d\d\d.\d\d\d.\d\d\d*

When I run the search in splunk it gives me error which looks like -

Error in 'SearchOperator:regex': The regex '*10.\d\d\d.\d\d\d.\d\d\d*' is invalid. nothing to repeat.

I am completely new to splunk. So, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rahil

Tags (3)
1 Solution

carmackd
Communicator

Your problem might be that you didnt escape the dots(.) in your regular expression. Try this:

| regex host="10\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

phatfingers
Explorer

The prior poster gave good advice about an additional problem. The particular error shown, "nothing to repeat", was referring to the use of an asterisk as the first character. The asterisk means "zero or more of the preceding token" (e.g. the most recent discrete thing just to the left of the asterisk). Because the given regex started with an asterisk, Splunk threw an error because there was nothing to the left of the asterisk to repeat.

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on what you're trying to do you might be better off just searching for the IP addresses than using regex command. status="404" host="10.*"

0 Karma

carmackd
Communicator

Your problem might be that you didnt escape the dots(.) in your regular expression. Try this:

| regex host="10\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+"
0 Karma

carmackd
Communicator

No problem! Glad to help 🙂

0 Karma

rahiparikh
Explorer

Thanks for the help. I just copied the text from Splunk User Manual but didn't know that I need to escape the dots.

Thanks again for you help. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...