Splunk Search

Reduce the Expires of a job to 5 seconds

robertlynch2020
Motivator

I have a dashboard that I have to do a lot of refreshing on.

This is causing a lot of jobs to happen on my SPunk install.

The first set of jobs run but they are kept by Splunk for 5 minutes (Image below)

How do I get the expired to go to 5 seconds?

robertlynch2020_0-1635873625283.png

I was trying some setting but they are not working for me. Any ideas woud be great thanks

default_save_ttl=5
ttl = 5
remote_ttl = 5
srtemp_dir_ttl = 5
cache_ttl=5

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Roy_9
Motivator

I guess, It isn’t possible to set the job expiry to 5 seconds, by default it would be either 10 minutes or 7 days.

0 Karma

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi - I think that is only fo saved search, i am looking for dashboards.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On a saved search you can set TTL, however the TTL may be changed based oany n alert action.
The TTL within a dashboard would be the default TTL of adhoc searches which is normally 10 minutes.

That said I'm unsure if you can configure TTL for a job created by a dashboard...I mean you can likely hit the REST api to change TTL settings once the search runs or perhaps is running but that isn't an elegant solution... For this idea I would use the <done> if you cannot find a setting.

0 Karma

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi

At the moment we have written a script that will remove any jobs if we go over 10,000.

However, Splunk still holds onto jobs that I cant remove for a time.

cd $dispatch
count=`ls -lrt | wc -l`

#To get the Indexer machine name
host=`echo "$SPLUNK_HOME" | cut -d"/" -f2` 

if [ $count -gt 10000 ]; then 
	find $dispatch -maxdepth 1 -mmin +3 2>/dev/null | while read job; do if [ ! -e "$job/save" ] ; then rm -rfv $job ; fi ; done  > /dev/null 2>&1
	find $dispatch -type d -empty -name alive.token -mmin +3 2>/dev/null | xargs -i rm -Rf {}  > /dev/null 2>&1
	find $splunkdir/var/run/splunk/ -type f -name "session-*" -mmin +3 2>/dev/null | xargs -i rm -Rf {}  > /dev/null 2>&1
	after_count=`ls -lrt | wc -l`
	echo `date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"`"|$SPLUNK_HOME|$host|$count|$after_count|"
else

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...