Splunk Search

Reading from a specific log file

rsmall13
Explorer

Hi, I am very new to Splunk.  I would like to know how to search just the latest  log file from the below screenshot. (i.e. the current days file only)

rsmall13_0-1615806586536.png

At the moment I have the below search query , but this is pulling all the files so I'm just not sure how of the syntax for adding the current days date string.  Ultimately I am looking to find errors real time which send an alert.

source="d:\\logs\\gmoaisfabricsync\\fabricsyncservice-*.txt"

Cheers,
Rob

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rsmall13,

if every file contains only events of a specific day, you could use your search restricting the time period of your search (e.g. today, or yesterday or the last 24 hours).

Only one hint: use always the index condition to have faster searches.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

rsmall13
Explorer

Ok thanks, that should work!  I am also using an index as well.

index="test_apps" AND sourcetype="gao" source="D:\\logs\\GmoAisFabricSync\\FabricSyncService-*.txt"

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rsmall13,

good for you!

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rsmall13,

if every file contains only events of a specific day, you could use your search restricting the time period of your search (e.g. today, or yesterday or the last 24 hours).

Only one hint: use always the index condition to have faster searches.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...