Splunk Search

REX issue, quite an interesting one, potential bug?

mrgibbon
Contributor

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before?

This is the data I’m extracting from:

"Classic,Audit Failure",11/14/2016 9:32:27 AM,AD FS Auditing,516,-3,"The following user account has been locked out due to too many bad password attempts. Additional Data Activity ID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 User: sausages\Abel.Caine Client IP: 103.1.1.1,10.1.1.1 nBad Password Count: 4 nLast Bad Password Attempt: 11/14/2016"

I’m trying to extract the bad password count.
By all means, this should work:
| rex "Password Count: (?P[^ \n]+)"

But it appears that Splunk sees the string ‘Count’ as a command, not just a string.
I get the total ‘count’ of those fields it finds.

alt text

I’ve tried escaping it, using “\s{1}\w{6}” and a load of others things.

Seen this before?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This works fine:

... | rex "Password Count:\s*(?<Count>\d+)"
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi mrgibbon 😉

works like a charm on Splunk 6.5.0:

| gentimes start=-1 
| eval gibbon="\"Classic,Audit Failure\",11/14/2016 9:32:27 AM,AD FS Auditing,516,-3,\"The following user account has been locked out due to too many bad password attempts. Additional Data Activity ID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 User: sausages\Abel.Caine Client IP: 103.1.1.1,10.1.1.1 nBad Password Count: 4 nLast Bad Password Attempt: 11/14/2016\"" 
| rex field=gibbon "Password Count: (?P<count>[^ \n]+)" 
| table count

Here is the result:
alt text

Can you please add the complete search you are running?

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

mrgibbon
Contributor

Hmm, Im using 6.5.0.
Might be something quirky in the way the event is ingested, its only ADFS logs though, fairly std.

index=adfs "Event ID"=403 OR "Event ID"=516 NOT "Audit Success" 
| rex "blah.internal\\\(?P[^ \n]+)" 
| rex "Activity ID: (?P[^\n \"]+)"
| rex "((\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}).+?(?P\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}))"
| rex "nBad Password\s{1}\w{5}\:\s(?P[^ \n]+)" 
| rex "nLast Bad Password Attempt: (?P[^\"]+)" 

This is just one variation I have tried, of course I have tried the most basic one I listed first.

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

Why the \n? Seems to me you only need [^ ]+

0 Karma

mrgibbon
Contributor

I added it in as when I view the event that number is actually below the leading text, like this:
nBad Password Count:

So I added it in to cope with that, but if you copy out the event its directly following the colon and a space. I have tried without it, still the same result.
Thanks

0 Karma

mrgibbon
Contributor

Also, I want the value of the field, not the count of those fields.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi mrgibbon, you know how to reach me - Can you send some sample data and the search and I will have a look at it 😉 Cheers, MuS

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Can you use the code function so the named capturing groups are still in the search, please? 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...