Splunk Search

REX expression for multiple extractions in columns

raby1996
Path Finder

Hello all,

I was hoping I could get a bit of assistance in figuring out a rex expression I could use to extract part numbers that are in column, I have a sample data set below,

part_num      serial_num         type
abc            123                a
bcd            234                a
cde            456                b

Essentially I'm trying to extract all the "part_num" and "serial_num" for "types" of "a", I can extract the first part that matches however I've been unable to figure out how I can extract all fields I need of type a for my events, essentially it would look like this (FYI, I already have the host machine serial number extracted)

rex....
|stats list(part_num) as part_num list(serial_num) as serial_num by host_machine

host_machine.      part_num             serial_num
981-aabbc             abc                    123
                      bcd                    234

and this would display for all my machines. Thank you, and please let me know if there are any questions, I appreciate any help

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If your "dataset" above a single event that looks exactly like that, then you need multikv:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/SearchReference/Multikv

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If your "dataset" above a single event that looks exactly like that, then you need multikv:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/SearchReference/Multikv

raby1996
Path Finder

Yes, your'e right, this looks like it will do the job, thank you.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Is your "dataset" above a single event that looks exactly like that?

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your sample data set looks like a CSV file. Is it?

If it is, then wouldn't you want to do a lookup by type to get the part_num and serial_num from the lookup table? That would not require a rex statement at all.

If not, what exactly is the sample data set? And is it in Splunk as an event, or what?

0 Karma

raby1996
Path Finder

No unfortunately this is not csv, (or structured data), essentially this is a large text file, and this data is in tabular format somewhere towards the middle of the file, the easiest way to look at it was if we ran an "ls -t" on a unix server with the headers being at the top, and yes it is in splunk as an event.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...