Splunk Search

REGEX to find one-level DNS requests for filtering in transforms

wbfoxii
Communicator

I'm trying to write a regex to match DNS names with only one level in Windows debug logs. I don't want to index those, since they're all internal hosts.

Here are some samples:

3/19/2014 1:18:39 PM 05A4 PACKET 00000000039E3AE0 UDP Rcv aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 0c45 Q [0001 D NOERROR] TXT ._nfsv4idmapdomain.
3/19/2014 1:18:37 PM 05A4 PACKET 0000000003CDA2C0 UDP Rcv aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd eb60 Q [0001 D NOERROR] A .gishpcs3.

transforms.conf statement looks like this (I'm filtering other things as well - the FIRST match is in question)

REGEX = (\s\.[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\.\s|\.ip6\.arpa|IN-ADDR|in-addr\.arpa|\sSnd\s)

So, annoyingly, this matches in a regex test site I found (http://www.regexr.com/) but the records are still being indexed. Anyone got a clue about why this doesn't filter?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The regex you posted in the question and the regex in the transforms.conf stanza are different - make sure you're using the most up-to-date one in the transforms.

Looking at the transforms.conf expression, I'm guessing you're missing a backslash at char 8, unless you're really looking for a literal s rather than a whitespace. Changing that makes the regex match your events. Before/after:

(^[^\d]|s\.[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\.\s*$|IN-ADDR|in-addr|\sSnd\s|\sR\sQ\s|\.ip6\.arpa|NXDOMAIN|windowsupdate\.com)
(^[^\d]|\s\.[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\.\s*$|IN-ADDR|in-addr|\sSnd\s|\sR\sQ\s|\.ip6\.arpa|NXDOMAIN|windowsupdate\.com)
0 Karma

wbfoxii
Communicator

That backslash is in the regex. It's a hassle to add regex to this discussion because you have to escape the backslash character and I missed that one.

0 Karma

wbfoxii
Communicator

Full props.conf stanza:

[windns_query]
SEDCMD-win_dns = s/\(\d+\)/./g
EXTRACT-src_ip-fqdn-win = Rcv\s(?[^\s]+).+\]\s(?P[^\s]+)\s+\.(?P[^\s]+)\.$
TRANSFORMS-windns = windnsnull

Full transforms.conf

[windnsnull]
REGEX = (^[^\d]|\s\.[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\.\s*$|IN-ADDR|in-addr|\sSnd\s|\sR\sQ\s|\.ip6\.arpa|NXDOMAIN|windowsupdate\.com)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

full inputs.conf

[monitor://c:\Windows\System32\dns\dns.log]
sourcetype=windns_query
index=myIndex
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do post the full configuration regarding these events, from their stanza in inputs.conf to props.conf to transforms.conf.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...