Splunk Search

Query with bin and stat calculations produces different results

ChihiroK

I'm trying to get the total number of hours a user is connected to a workspace per month.  I am getting the raw data every 5 minutes, which contains the number of users connected for the last 5 minutes. 

I noticed that the results for the month of May is different when I ran the query a few days earlier in the week.  I'm puzzled as to why it would produce different results.  

The query is: 

index="aws" sourcetype="aws:cloudwatch" metric_name="UserConnected"
| lookup workspaces_directory.csv metric_dimensions OUTPUTNEW directory_name
| rename account_id AS owner_id 
| lookup owner_id.csv owner_id OUTPUTNEW account
| eval month_num=strftime(_time, "%m")
| bucket _time span=5m 
| stats max(Sum) AS max_connected BY _time, account, directory_name, month_num
| stats sum(max_connected) AS users_connected_per_5_min BY directory_name, month_num
| eval "Hours Connected" = (users_connected_per_5_min*5.0)/60.0
| chart sum("Hours Connected" by directory_name, month_num

Since I am getting data every 5 minutes, I bin up the data into the maximum number of users connected per 5 minutes, then multiplying by 5 to get the total number of minutes that the user was logged on per hour. The total is then grouped by month and summed together. 

What I'd like to find is why I'm getting different results from when I ran the same query a few days ago.  It's past the month of May, so the underlying data should not have changed at all. 

Any insight would be appreciated. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How are you setting the time period for your search?

0 Karma

ChihiroK

I'm setting the time period to be "Year to Date".  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...