Splunk Search

Query syntax to only get 50% of possible results. More details below.

dexterrivera

I am new to Splunk but own a system that uses Splunk as the backend. I want to create a query that only gives me a specific percentage of the possible results that I can then leverage for a phased deployment.

For example, I have 10,000 endpoints reporting in but I want to create a query that gives me a random 50% (5,000) of those endpoints as a result. I can then use that query to target a deployment to the company in two phases.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is a random number generator in splunk. You use the mod function (%) to turn it to whatever set of numbers you want.

In this case, you could...

1) Create a lookup file (for instance mySystems.csv) that includes ALL the systems.

2) assign each system a random number from 1 to 100

| inputlookup mySystems.csv
  | eval myGroup=1+ (random() % 100)
  | outputlookup append=f mySystems.csv

3) If new Systems get added, append them with another number (101, 102).

(your search that finds all systems)
  | lookup host mySystems.csv OUTPUT myGroup
  | eventstats max(myGroup) as maxGroup
  | where isnull(myGroup)
  | eval myGroup=maxGroup+1
  | fields - maxGroup
  | outputlookup append=tf mySystems.csv

4) Each time you do something to a set, select a non-overlapping myGroup number range that you havene't done it to before.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...