Splunk Search

Proofpoint - Count occurrences AFTER Grouping via Transaction Command

RB5
Path Finder

There are log entries as seen below. When they are SEPARATE events, the following command works to count the # of occurrences of each type: index.... | stats count by type

type count
png 2
gif 3
pdf 1

But I need to use the transaction command in order to gather other information (like direction: inbound or outbound). Once I do so, via: index..... | transaction host,s,m maxspan=301s | stats count by type

such that it is now ONE EVENT, I get the results below, as if it is counting them distinctly. I want to get the results as above, the actual count of the occurrences of each.
Thanks.

type count
png 1
gif 1
pdf 1

Jun 7 00:50:15 lrdna0n2xepmx10 s=1mb0nj7xyk m=1 mod=mail cmd=attachment file=image006.png type=png
Jun 7 00:50:15 lrdna0n2xepmx10 s=1mb0nj7xyk m=1 mod=mail cmd=attachment file=image007.png type=png
Jun 7 00:50:15 lrdna0n2xepmx10 s=1mb0nj7xyk m=1 mod=mail cmd=attachment file=image009.gif type=gif
Jun 7 00:50:15 lrdna0n2xepmx10 s=1mb0nj7xyk m=1 mod=mail cmd=attachment file=image010.gif type=gif
Jun 7 00:50:15 lrdna0n2xepmx10 s=1mb0nj7xyk m=1 mod=mail cmd=attachment file=image011.gif type=gif
Jun 7 00:50:15 lrdna0n2xepmx10 s=1mb0nj7xyk m=1 mod=mail cmd=attachment file="loan repayment.pdf" type=pdf

0 Karma
1 Solution

RB5
Path Finder

Using the max_match parm with the rex command worked. Pat myself on the back.

View solution in original post

eckolp2003
Path Finder

Proofpoint now has a beta app that will allow you report on and visualze your Proofpoint Protection Server and TAP data! Check out the new app here:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3727/#/details

Be sure to follow the instructions listed in the details to get all the needed TA's etc that the app needs to work correctly.

There are pre-built dashboards to aid in searching for message events.

0 Karma

RB5
Path Finder

Using the max_match parm with the rex command worked. Pat myself on the back.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...