Splunk Search

Precedence of explicit vs wildcard in props.conf

Jason
Motivator

I'm setting the timezone for hundreds of forwarders at once by using props.conf wildcards on host:

[host::DN*]
# Denver Hosts
TZ = America/Denver

However, there are a few hosts that have timezones mis-set. Will setting the following explicit entry in the same file (in etc/apps/theapp/local) override the above wildcard?

[host::DNSERVER9]
# Misconfigured to Central time
TZ = America/Chicago

If not, can I override by putting the setting in a different app, (earlier lexographically), such as etc/apps/appname/local?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Jason
Motivator

According to props.conf.spec, it seems that the literal will override the pattern/wildcard by default:

If not specified, the default value for the priority field for:
     - pattern matching stanzas is 0
     - literal matching stanzas is 100

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

lexicographic app will not override. however, literal (non-wildcard) matches in props.conf will override wildcard matches.

Jason
Motivator

According to props.conf.spec, it seems that the literal will override the pattern/wildcard by default:

If not specified, the default value for the priority field for:
     - pattern matching stanzas is 0
     - literal matching stanzas is 100
0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

And also check the spec for the ability to set priority to override things as need be.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...