Splunk Search

Plotting instances of logs onto chart

philallen1
Path Finder

Hi

My log looks like this:

2013-10-07T15:37:27.334Z | allepha | 2013-10-07T16:37:04+01:00 info platform shell AppExplorer started in: 140ms

The thing I am interested in within the log is the App, which in this case is called "AppExplorer". Other than that I am only interested that this log was created at the time it states at the start.

I want to plot a chart like below. Each dot on the chart represents that a log was created at that time. So you can see from the chart below that 2 logs were created at around 9am for "app 1" (i.e. the 2 red squares).

How do I go about writing the search query for this in Splunk?

Thanks

Phil

alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try: your_search | rex field=_raw "shell\s*(?<AppName>[^\s]*)"| eval Present = 1 | timechart span=5m max(Present) by AppName, and then in your visualization parameters, make it a Column Chart and change the "Multi Series Mode" to "split".

View solution in original post

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try: your_search | rex field=_raw "shell\s*(?<AppName>[^\s]*)"| eval Present = 1 | timechart span=5m max(Present) by AppName, and then in your visualization parameters, make it a Column Chart and change the "Multi Series Mode" to "split".

philallen1
Path Finder

That's perfect. Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...