Splunk Search

Planned outage graph logic

joydeep741
Path Finder

I want to build a logic for SEARCH-2

My SEARCH -1
Gives me start and End time stamp of a Planned Outage.

My SEARCH-2
Gives me the availaiblity graph of my server.
Now in the availibility graph, if the timestamp is in the time range of planned outage (given by search 1) than I should mark that as "planned outage" (so that no one is confused whether its planned or an actual outage).

index=avail sourcetype=availaibility | if availaibility == 0 | check if the time of event is in the time range given by SUB SEARCH ""My Search 1

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@joydeep741, if you are on Splunk 7+, seems a good candidate for Chart Event Annotation

Otherwise approach would be similar to what @renjith.nair mentioned. Refer to following old but useful blog on overlaying information on timechart: https://www.splunk.com/blog/2012/02/19/compare-two-time-ranges-in-one-report.html

renjith_nair
Legend

Hi @joydeep741,
Try something similar,

index=_* earliest=-4h@h|bucket span=1h _time|stats count by component,_time|eval time=_time|eval status=if(count>100,1,0) 
|appendcols [search index=_* earliest=-3h@h latest=-1h@h|stats earliest(_time) as earliest,latest(_time) as latest|fields earliest,latest]| filldown
|eval maintenance=if(_time>=earliest AND _time <= latest,1,0)

Here I take last 4 hours of data and compare it against a planned maintenance of 1 hr (between 3rd and 2nd hour). Do you have data in two different indexes? If the above doesnt work for you, please provide some sample data from both searches

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

joydeep741
Path Finder

My two searches are from 2 different indexes.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@joydeep741,

That does not matter. Above is just an example. you could write your searches in the same way or if you could provide some sample events from both indexes, we could help you

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...