Splunk Search

Performing a lookup using a string literal instead of a field name

AlexBryant
Path Finder

I'm performing a lookup against a csv and need to use two columns (description and function) to return the correct value. However, I have a case where I need to explicitly specify the function, while using a description value from an event. Here's a lookup that works for me:

| lookup products.csv ProductDescription as description, ProductFunction as function OUTPUTNEW Name as ProductName

What I need to do is this:

| lookup products.csv ProductDescription as description, ProductFunction as "Kitchen Appliance" OUTPUTNEW Name as ProductName

When the event happens to contain "Kitchen Appliance" as the function, the lookup works, but if I explicitly specify "Kitchen Appliance" as the lookup value, nothing is returned. Is this usage supported?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've never seen that usage so you could be trying something that is not supported.  Have you tried assigning the literal to a field before the lookup?

| eval KA="Kitchen Appliance"
| lookup products.csv ProductDescription as description, ProductFunction as KA OUTPUTNEW Name as ProductName

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

AlexBryant
Path Finder

Yep, assigning the literal value with an eval beforehand definitely works, and that's how I have it currently running, but I was hoping I could avoid that step. The docs only refer to a field value being used in the command and not a string, so I agree, it may be unsupported.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...