Splunk Search

Performance in inputlookup vs lookup (command)

lucas4394
Path Finder

There is a big difference in term of performance in using "inputlookup" and "lookup" from the following queries with the same time range. The number of records in "mylookup" object has 3k records.
query 1:

index=xyz src=* [| inputlookup mylookup | fields src]

query 2:

index=xyz src=* 
| lookup mylookup src as src output key 
| where isnotnull(key)

I got the result almost constantly from query 2, but query 1 was stuck. I think query 1 should have better performance than query 2 does. Any clues?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jacobpevans
Motivator

It's likely because of the subsearch present in one but not the other. For some reason that I'm unaware of, Splunk's performance quickly degrades when using subsearches. They should be avoided at all costs. In fact, if your lookup became > 10,000 rows, the subsearch wouldn't be accurate without increasing your maxout parameter in the [subsearch] stanza of limits.conf because the default maximum number of events to return from a subsearch is 10,000.

Cheers,
Jacob

If you feel this response answered your question, please do not forget to mark it as such. If it did not, but you do have the answer, feel free to answer your own post and accept that as the answer.
0 Karma

lucas4394
Path Finder

My lookup is relatively small, only contained between 3,000 and 3,400 records. According one of splunk best practices, "Filter as soon as possible", I think the fist query is better than the second one.

0 Karma

malvidin
Communicator

I don't know where the crossover for performance is, and I expect it changes depending on the deployment design. But staying in the tens is definitely safe. 

Although "filter as soon as possible" is the general recommendation, the search inspector and introspection can help you choose the best command (inputlookup, lookup) for your data.

I believe that the server sends back a response that includes the entire expanded search string, which includes expanded inputlookup subsearches. In one case where a table was significantly increased in size, a search with a few results generated over 75MB of traffic from the server.

0 Karma

starcher
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

depends on how big the list. use pattern 2 as a rule if you don't know for SURE the list will be short like in the tens of values.

0 Karma

lucas4394
Path Finder

"mylookup" object has 3000 records, and less than 250 KB.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...