Splunk Search

Password Spray Search / Alert

johann2017
Explorer

Hello! I am building an alert to detect potential password spraying (it is looking for 10 or more failed logons within the last 15 minutes, where the username is correct but the password is wrong).

It works well, however there is one issue. If the same user fails to login a lot then it will trigger the alert. I only want a failure to count if the usernames are different. For example, if one user fails to login 10 times it will NOT alert. If 10 different users fail to login once each then it would alert. Below is my syntax:

index=*-windows-logs EventCode=4625 signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong"
Account_Name!=*$
| stats count by src_ip
| where count > 10

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are counting events by src_ip when what you want is distinct accounts by src_ip

Replace your "count" with "dc(Account_Name) AS distinct_accounts" and the correct the where to use this new field.

Something like this:

index=*-windows-logs EventCode=4625 signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong"
Account_Name!=*$
| stats dc(Account_Name) AS distinct_accounts by src_ip
| where distinct_accounts > 10

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are counting events by src_ip when what you want is distinct accounts by src_ip

Replace your "count" with "dc(Account_Name) AS distinct_accounts" and the correct the where to use this new field.

Something like this:

Account_Name!=*$
| stats dc(Account_Name) AS distinct_accounts by src_ip
| where distinct_accounts > 10

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.

johann2017
Explorer

Thank you @diogofgm this worked!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...