Splunk Search

Passing a lookup file name as a parameter in a macro

pgreer_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have a use case where there are over 50+ lookup files that I need to 'sync' between one app context and another. The idea is to:
1) read the lookup from context of App1 search bar
2) outputlookup to a lookup file named 'UPDATE_<lookupname>.csv' that resides in App2 context

The idea is to have the 50+ lookup file names in a lookup named myLookupFiles with App1. Then pass that filename as a field into a macro. So the gist would be to:

| inputlookup myLookupFiles
| `mySyncMacro(myLookupFileNameField)`

And the macro would thus then be something like:

join type=left max=0
[| inputlookup $myLookupFileName$]
| fields - myLookupFileNameField
| outputlookup createinapp=true UPDATE_$myLookupFileName$
| search blarg

Which, of course, doesn't work.

Thoughts on a way to iterate across all 50+ file names when they are specified as values within a table to create the 50+ named lookup files with the name "UPDATE_<lookupname>.csv"?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

maciep
Champion

what about map?  Just a simple example here, but should give you the idea I think.

| map search="| inputlookup $filenamefield$ | outputlookup UPDATE_$filenamefield$"

View solution in original post

maciep
Champion

what about map?  Just a simple example here, but should give you the idea I think.

| map search="| inputlookup $filenamefield$ | outputlookup UPDATE_$filenamefield$"

pgreer_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I haven't used map much in the past, so didn't think of it. Thanks for the reminder! Had to set the 'maxsearches' option so that I didn't hit the default limit of 10. And did a '| search blarg' in the map subsearch pipeline just to make sure the results set was cleared out before going on to the next one (not necessary, just a sanity check). Worked well, but NOT recommended if you have 1,000's of lookups all at a HUGE size - I/O spike!!! 🙂 Otherwise, works quite well for this limited sync use case. Thanks!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...