Splunk Search

Parse time deltas within transaction

tbrown
Path Finder

I have a search that uses the transaction command:

| transaction startswith=<...> endswith=<...>

To group it into certain events I want to see. How would I search this even further to get the time difference between each event in this transaction and then graph these time differences to a line/bar graph with the events/hosts on X-axis and time on y-axis. There are no specific fields for each event that I want to use to calculate the time difference, I only want to show the time difference between each and every raw log in this transaction.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I thought I posted an answer to this question already, but perhaps it was lost.  See if this helps at all.

| makeresults annotate=t 
| eval _raw="2020-06-10 15:38:55 This is the end of a transaction|2020-06-10 15:38:54 Malcolm in the middle|2020-06-10 15:38:52 Here is the start of it" 
| eval raw=split(_raw,"|") 
| mvexpand raw 
| eval _raw=raw 
| fields - raw
| transaction startswith="start" endswith="end"
`comment("Above just sets up test data")`
| rex max_match=0 "(?<time>\d{4}-\d\d-\d\d \d\d:\d\d:\d\d)"
| mvexpand time
| eval epoch=strptime(time, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| delta epoch as diff
| fields _time _raw diff
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I thought I posted an answer to this question already, but perhaps it was lost.  See if this helps at all.

| makeresults annotate=t 
| eval _raw="2020-06-10 15:38:55 This is the end of a transaction|2020-06-10 15:38:54 Malcolm in the middle|2020-06-10 15:38:52 Here is the start of it" 
| eval raw=split(_raw,"|") 
| mvexpand raw 
| eval _raw=raw 
| fields - raw
`comment("Above just sets up test data")`
| rex max_match=0 "(?<time>\d{4}-\d\d-\d\d \d\d:\d\d:\d\d)"
| mvexpand time
| eval epoch=strptime(time, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| delta epoch as diff
| fields _time _raw diff
---

tbrown
Path Finder

@richgalloway Thanks for the response. In your solution, does that command only calculate the time deltas of the three events:  

2020-06-10 15:38:55 This is the end of a transaction
2020-06-10 15:38:54 Malcolm in the middle
2020-06-10 15:38:52 Here is the start of it"

If so, how I would I get that command to work with the hundreds of events within each of my transactions? 

Tags (3)
0 Karma

admin12345678
Path Finder

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
It should work for any number of lines within a transaction.
---
0 Karma

tbrown
Path Finder

@richgalloway so in the command 

Do you have to put every single event in the transaction into that command for the parsing to work? 

Tags (3)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
No. The comment in the center of the query explains that the first part is just to create data for testing the query. Don't use that in your query.
---
0 Karma

tbrown
Path Finder

@richgalloway Thanks that seemed to work. Just wondering, is there anyway to retain the Splunk _time values for each event in each transaction instead of using rex and strptime to extract the time values of each event? I'm asking because the logs in each of my transactions have differently formatted time values ("2020/06/15 19:05:48.303" vs "06/15/20 19:05:49" vs "Mon Jun 15 19:05:49.499") and it is making it difficult to extract the time from each different format of each log.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not aware of any option that would include _time with the results of a transaction command.  You may be able to do it manually, however, by prefixing _time to _raw prior to transaction.

| eval _raw=_time.";"._raw 
| rex max_match=0 "(?<epoch>\d{10})"
| mvexpand epoch
| delta epoch as diff
| fields _time _raw diff
---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...