Splunk Search

On understanding array versus multivalue fields

cdieringerwm
Observer

Greetings. My Splunk instance parses messages which has a JSON array type:

```

{ tags: ["info", "foo", "bar"] }

```

Let's say I want to search for events where precisely the second index of the tags field has the value "foo".

1. Having consulted the Splunk docs, I found Array and object expressions . I tried using Array and object expressions, and all of my queries ended poorly
  2. Eventually I was pointed to MultivalueEvalFunctions , which worked.

Using Multivalue fns  left me with many questions:

1. Why is my JSON array parsed as a multivalue? Why is it not an array?
  2. If I execute `typeof('tags')`, I get "Invalid". Why? Shouldn't it be Array or Multivalue?
  3. If I execute `typeof('tags{}')`, I get "Multivalue". Why? What did that operator do, and why was it required?

More or less, as a polyglot programmer with a decade of experience, I found splunk operations on collections to be not just unintuitive, but counter intuitive.  Beyond my explicit three question categories above, if compelled, let me know other best-known-practices around searching with array-ish fields 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The SCS docs describe SPL2, not the SPL which is used in Splunk Enterprise and Splunk Cloud. In SPL there are no arrays. There are only multivalued fields.

The {} in 'tags{}' is just a part of the name. It's not an operator.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...