Splunk Search

Nutanix

splunknewbie81
Engager

Hi All,

We configured logs of a nutanix cluster to be pushed to splunk. 

Inside splunk, I can see logs that shows that [An unsuccessful login attempt was made with username: xxx]

How can I churn this out to a report. I am kind of lost where on how to start.

Can someone please explain or guide me along?

Thank You

Regards,

Alex

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunknewbie81,

at first, you have to study the eventtypes of your logs: e.g. if the condition for the logfail event of nutanix is only "An unsuccessful login attempt was made", you could create and save an eventtype like this:

index=nutanix "An unsuccessful login attempt was made"

I don't know if there are other conditions but you have the knowledge of Nutanix to find all the conditions!

Remember that to make a search in Splunk 70% of the job is to know what to search and 30% is to build the search in Splunk!

So e.g. if you have to find the condition for the logfail in windows you have to take events with EvenCode=4625, 4771, 537, 536, 539, 531, etc...

Coming back to your search, when you identified the logfail condition, you have to extract the interesting fields: if you have a pair fieldname=fieldvalue, Splunk automatically extract the field, otherwise you have to manually extract it using a regex, in your case, something like this:

| rex "An unsuccessful login attempt was made with username: (?<user>\w+)"

Then you have to create your table, e.g. displaying all logfails:

| table _time user

If otherwise you want the number of logfails for each user, you could run something like this:

| stats count BY user

You can enrich your search in many ways, but I hint to follow the Search Tutorial for this (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.1/SearchTutorial/WelcometotheSearchTutorial) or splunk training or videos on YouTube.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...