Splunk Search

Number of events not stable in time

emallinger
Communicator

Hello,

I wonder if you have any suggestion as to why, over time, results of a stats count may vary for a past time frame.

I have a planned report doint this search each week:

index=x1 OR index=x2 OR index=x3 OR index=x4
| eval tempo = strftime(_time,"%Y-%m")
| stats count by tempo,index
| sort by tempo, index

2 of the 4 indexes are closed (no new event since at least a year) => older events

Recent events are indexed on the other 2 indexes.

Over the past period in the report, I should have each week the same result (ie for 2016-04 index=x1 result_stats_count=125469522).

Except not.

Beginning 3 weeks ago, results changed over some period (2016-04 for example) even if there is no new data for that period of time (I checked : no new event has been indexed for these index this year)

In some cases, the number increases, in other it decreases, or both over 3 weeks. This data has not yet reach the retention limit.

The splunk platform is 2 SHC, 1 indexer cluster multisite and a few forwarders.

Operation  that has been done the last 3 weeks : new cluster bundle conf with rolling restart, some SHC rolling restart.

I didn't find anyting helpfull in _internal explain this behaviour.

Do you have any idea ? Pointers ?

Thanks a lot,

Ema

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

emallinger
Communicator

Hi,

Issue solved with Splunk support : DMC was activated on search heads. (not a good idea !)

Deactivation of DMC on SHs and workload management fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

emallinger
Communicator

Hi,

Issue solved with Splunk support : DMC was activated on search heads. (not a good idea !)

Deactivation of DMC on SHs and workload management fixed the problem.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...