Splunk Search

Not launching a new real-time search if a job already exists

jwestberg
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have a scenario with a dashboard running a few simultaneous real-time searches. Unfortunately, this dashboard is becoming popular, and every time a new user loads it, a completely new batch of real-time searches are dispatched.

Would it be possible, by way of Advanced XML or otherwise, to connect subsequent loads of the dashboard to the already running real-time searches? It seems conceivable that it would be possible to retreive any SID assosciated with an identical search, and "re-use" those jobs.

Tags (2)

laserval
Communicator

As far as I know, it is not possible to share the results of a real-time search between users. loadjob, savedsearch and similar cannot fetch the artifacts as they do not exist - results are only written to the artifact directory when the search is done.

There's been some back-and-forth in the answers to questions about this though, see:

Says it's not possible: Can real-time searche be shared between different users viewing the same dashboard?

Says it is possible: Shared realtime searches possible?

In the end, I have not been able to share results from a real-time search between users.

0 Karma

royimad
Builder

You can call loadjob command , the artifacts to load are identified either by the search job id or a scheduled search name and the time range of the current search. If a savedsearch name is provided and multiple artifacts are found within that range the latest artifacts are loaded.

| loadjob savedsearch="username:application:MyMasterSavedSearch" | search business=businessX

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This will not work with real time searches as there are not artifacts that may be fetched by loadjob for an RT search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...