Splunk Search

Normalizing (feature scaling) a datapoint

bgourlie

I have a search and I would like to normalize a data point so that I can use it effectively in conjunction with other data points to determine performance impact. In particular, I have a search that is essentially a stats count as hits ... by requestUri I need to know min(hits) and max(hits) in order to determine the normalized value, which I imagine would require preprocessing. Is this possible? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_scaling if you're wondering what I'm trying to accomplish.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Many times this is desirable because of too-broad a span of datapoint values to see on a chart. If this is your motivation, have you tried changing your Y-Axis to "log" scale? If you have to do it, you can pre-process using eventstats like this:

... | stats count as hits ... BY requestUri | eventstats min(hits) AS minHits max(hits) AS maxHits | eval hitsPrime=(hits-minHits)/(maxHits-minHits)

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Many times this is desirable because of too-broad a span of datapoint values to see on a chart. If this is your motivation, have you tried changing your Y-Axis to "log" scale? If you have to do it, you can pre-process using eventstats like this:

... | stats count as hits ... BY requestUri | eventstats min(hits) AS minHits max(hits) AS maxHits | eval hitsPrime=(hits-minHits)/(maxHits-minHits)

bgourlie

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...