Splunk Search

Non-windowed realtime search

mexa
Explorer

On page 62 of the Splunk Search manual, it mentions that: "Windowed real-time searches are more expensive than non-windowed." And: "If your windowed search does not display the expected number of events, try a non-windowed search."

From what I understand, when you specify a time range in the Realtime search query, that makes it a "windowed" search. How do I run a non-windowed search in that case? I am simply interested in reading the newest events coming into the system, without doing any buffering on the server side. I am using the Java SDK for this.

Cheers

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You'll get a non-windowed realtime search by setting earliest_time=rt and latest_time=rt.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You'll get a non-windowed realtime search by setting earliest_time=rt and latest_time=rt.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is a realtime_buffer of 10000 defined in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.2/Admin/limitsconf - I'm not sure if that's relevant for you though because that setting mentions splunkweb. There's also a queue_size of 10000, maybe more.

0 Karma

mexa
Explorer

Thanks Martin. Do you know if there is a rate limit for the number of events forwarded to a realtime query?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...