Splunk Search

Nested comparisons (using AND / OR with IF / CASE functions)- How would I add a second condition?

mark_cet
Path Finder

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to implement some logic in my alert searches but I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

I have some event data coming into Splunk that I want to trigger a Service Now incident creation using a priority value based on the event severity and the host environment (test, stage, prod, DR).

I am using a case statement to assign a severity ID depending on the alert severity:

| eval severity_id=case(Severity=="critical", 6, Severity=="major", 5, 1==1, 3)

If I want to add a second condition to check the value of the hostEnvironment field before setting the severity ID what would be the best way to do this?

E.G. If the severity = "critical" AND hostEnvironment = test then severity ID = 3.

E.G. If the severity = "critical" AND hostEnvironment = prod then severity ID = 6

etc. 

I am hoping there is a way to nest the comparison functions. 

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't have to nest the conditionals.  You can just use the same statements as in your explanation.

| eval severity_id=case(Severity=="critical" AND hostEnvironment ="prod", 6, Severity=="critical" AND hostEnvironment ="test", 3, Severity=="major", 5, 1==1, 3)

To nest conditional just put another case or if function in place of the value clause.

| eval severity_id=case(Severity=="critical", case(hostEnvironment="prod", 6, hostEnvironment="test", 3, 1==1, 3), Severity=="major", 5, 1==1, 3)

Or an easier to read version:

| eval severity_id=case(
    Severity=="critical", 
       case(hostEnvironment="prod", 6, 
            hostEnvironment="test", 3, 
            1==1, 3), 
    Severity=="major", 5,
    1==1, 3)

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't have to nest the conditionals.  You can just use the same statements as in your explanation.

| eval severity_id=case(Severity=="critical" AND hostEnvironment ="prod", 6, Severity=="critical" AND hostEnvironment ="test", 3, Severity=="major", 5, 1==1, 3)

To nest conditional just put another case or if function in place of the value clause.

| eval severity_id=case(Severity=="critical", case(hostEnvironment="prod", 6, hostEnvironment="test", 3, 1==1, 3), Severity=="major", 5, 1==1, 3)

Or an easier to read version:

| eval severity_id=case(
    Severity=="critical", 
       case(hostEnvironment="prod", 6, 
            hostEnvironment="test", 3, 
            1==1, 3), 
    Severity=="major", 5,
    1==1, 3)

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

mark_cet
Path Finder

Thank you very much for this richgalloway!

This worked perfectly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...