Splunk Search

Need to filter table results in Dashboard after stats and join commands

jspigler2010
Explorer

I am looking for a way to filter the results that I am returning from an initial SPL search, a join command keying off of the host name and finally running a stats commands with all joined results. Reason being, this will be an interactive dashboard panel where you can filter based off of user, host, client_ip and client_mac. I have tried using "where" but looks like this won't match all values with the initial wildcard value of "*" when the dashboard first loads. The customer I am working with is requesting to be able to key off of the previously mentioned fields and values but they only show up periodically in pcoip server logs. Hence the reason I am using join.

Any help on how I could tackle this would be awesome!

Heres my search. If there is anyway I can do a post search filter, meaning all stats are calculated and results are returned and filter that, that would be awesome. Maybe I'm over thinking this though...

index=vdi sourcetype="vmware_pcoip" host="*"
| join host [search index=vdi sourcetype="vmware_pcoip" (user="*" OR client_mac="*" OR  client_ip="*" OR nat_client_ip="*")]
| convert ctime(_time) as time 
| stats earliest(time) as "Earliest Time stamp" latest(time) as "Latest Time stamp" 
last(user) as user last(client_ip) as client_ip last(domain) as domain last(client_mac) as client_mac last(nat_client_ip) as nat_client_ip by host 
| fillnull value="0"
| table host "Earliest Time stamp" "Latest Time stamp" user client_ip domain client_mac nat_client_ip
0 Karma
1 Solution

elliotproebstel
Champion

If I'm understanding the requirements correctly, I don't think you need that join at all - because the stats call will effectively "join" the data together by host. So if your dashboard has text input boxes for tokens that are intuitively named $user$, $host$, $client_ip$, and $client_mac$ - then you could structure your query like this:

index=vdi sourcetype="vmware_pcoip" host="$host$"
| stats earliest(_time) as "Earliest Time stamp" latest(_time) as "Latest Time stamp" last(user) as user last(client_ip) as client_ip last(domain) as domain last(client_mac) as client_mac last(nat_client_ip) as nat_client_ip by host 
| fillnull value="0"
| search user="$user$" host="$host$" client_ip="$client_ip$" client_mac="$client_mac$"

Make sure the values for those tokens are defaulting to * on dashboard page load, and that last search line will effectively do nothing until one of the inputs is populated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

If I'm understanding the requirements correctly, I don't think you need that join at all - because the stats call will effectively "join" the data together by host. So if your dashboard has text input boxes for tokens that are intuitively named $user$, $host$, $client_ip$, and $client_mac$ - then you could structure your query like this:

index=vdi sourcetype="vmware_pcoip" host="$host$"
| stats earliest(_time) as "Earliest Time stamp" latest(_time) as "Latest Time stamp" last(user) as user last(client_ip) as client_ip last(domain) as domain last(client_mac) as client_mac last(nat_client_ip) as nat_client_ip by host 
| fillnull value="0"
| search user="$user$" host="$host$" client_ip="$client_ip$" client_mac="$client_mac$"

Make sure the values for those tokens are defaulting to * on dashboard page load, and that last search line will effectively do nothing until one of the inputs is populated.

0 Karma

jspigler2010
Explorer

Wow...
I was wayyyyyyy over complicating that. Thanks elliot!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...