Splunk Search

Need search assist for a query that is not bringing back the expected result

nls7010
Path Finder

A client of mine is asking:  I’m hoping you can help me with something. I am trying to analyze the volume to a particular Apigee endpoint so I have wrote the following query where I am grouping the stats by my calculated date value to see a day-wise view for a service that hit a particular backend.

index="apigee-prod-cne" sourcetype="apigee_metrics" (apiproxy="cc-cust-profile-01-v1")  target_host = "sapisugw-prd.duke-energy.com" proxy_pathsuffix = "/email/bp/retrieve" environment="prod" | dedup gateway_flow_id | spath request_verb | search request_verb != "OPTIONS"| eval yourdate = strftime(_time,"%D")| eval yourhour = strftime(_time, "%H")| eval yourmin=strftime(_time,"%M")  | stats count(x-apigee.edge.execution.stats.request_flow_start_timestamp) as hits by yourdate

nls7010_0-1631802241890.png

What I’m not understanding is that when I add an additional parameter to group by (and changing none of my other conditions) that I suddenly see a spike in calls rather than a segmented number from the total?

nls7010_1-1631802241896.png

Can you help me to understand what I may be missing to properly evaluate traffic through our proxies?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is developer_app a multi-value field because stats will be counted against each value in the mv fields?

0 Karma

nls7010
Path Finder

This is what the customer responded: 

To make sure I understand, you are asking if developer_app can be different values in a unique combination of hits per mydate+developer_app combinations, right (i.e. if I look in the event, can I have two developer apps in the event details)? They cannot be; for a single request, there can only be 1 developer app.

I’m trying to get to a result set where I can say:

• I have 50 total calls to a service. 25 were from CC-R5-SITECORE-App and 25 were from CC-R5-IMP-SUPERUSER-App
  • If I add developer_app as a group by parameter, I was thinking I would see the result above where I get a unique number of hits per combination of date+developer+app
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you share some sample events from the search up to this point 

index="apigee-prod-cne" sourcetype="apigee_metrics" (apiproxy="cc-cust-profile-01-v1")  target_host = "sapisugw-prd.duke-energy.com" proxy_pathsuffix = "/email/bp/retrieve" environment="prod" | dedup gateway_flow_id | spath request_verb | search request_verb != "OPTIONS"
0 Karma

nls7010
Path Finder

nls7010_0-1631811806310.png

0 Karma

nls7010
Path Finder

sure, here is the raw data of one of the events:

{"proxy_basepath":"/v1/customer/profile","responsecache_l1_count":null,"x-apigee.edge.execution.stats.request_flow_endtimestamp":1631811648373,"responsecache_executed":null,"apiproxy":"cc-cust-profile-01-v1","x-apigee.edge.is_policy_error":0,"client_id":"RfmkbZ3EI161T1MHfGaIlHKvDsgeXJZ2","responsecache_name":null,"client_sent_start_timestamp":1631811649200,"target_sent_start_timestamp":1631811648374,"x-apigee.edge.is_target_error":0,"client_received_start_timestamp":1631811648364,"x-apigee.intelligence.client_ip_postal":null,"target_sent_end_timestamp":1631811648374,"client_ip":"139.46.106.177","is_error":false,"x-apigee.edge.stats.steps":"{\"qtAPIQuota.0\":3,\"o2VerifyAccessToken.0\":2,\"repRegExProtect.0\":0}","id":"fq51wz403hod2kqjww3lqd0y","request_size":235,"developer_app":"CC-R5-SITECORE-App","x-apigee.intelligence.client_ip_header":"104.209.233.38","target_response_code":201,"apigee.edge.execution.fault_code":null,"apigee_sdk_client_sessionid":null,"virtual_host":"secure","x-apigee.edge.mp_host":"lcltcust1edgp06.duke-energy.com","apigee_sdk_client_requestid":null,"x-apigee.edge.execution.fault_flow_name":null,"sla":false,"responsecache_key":null,"x-apigee.intelligence.service":"{}","target_received_end_timestamp":1631811649199,"client_sent_end_timestamp":1631811649200,"target_host":"sapisugw-prd.duke-energy.com","request_uri":"/sap/opu/odata/sap/ZDIG_SEARCH_BP_EMAIL_SRV/RequestSet","access_token":"okA4MFkAIEcVPaE4091YYvQEeRGX","proxy":"ProfilesProxyEndpoint","x-apigee.intelligence.client_ip_subdivision":null,"target_received_start_timestamp":1631811649198,"api_product":"CC-R5-BE-SC-Services-PROD","proxy_client_ip":"xxxxxxxxxxxx,"x-apigee.edge.dn.region":"dc-1","apigee_sdk_client_appname":null,"apigee_sdk_client_deviceid":null,"apigee.edge.execution.is_apigee_fault":0,"x-apigee.edge.target.latency.stats":"{\"targetList\":[{\"targetId\"😕"target://sapisugw-prd.duke-energy.com\",\"responseStatus\":201,\"latency\":824,\"isTLS\":true}]}","x-apigee.edge.stats.policy.execution":null,"target_url":null,"x-apigee.edge.execution.fault_flow_state":null,"useragent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36","proxy_pathsuffix":"/email/bp/retrieve","x-apigee.intelligence.client_ip_asn":null,"x-apigee.edge.execution.stats.request_flow_start_timestamp":1631811648371,"x_forwarded_for_ip":null,"response_size":1045,"cache_hit":null,"x-apigee.edge.execution.sense.action":null,"developer_email":"CC_APIGEE_REPORTING@duke-energy.com","x-apigee.edge.execution.fault_policy_name":null,"responsecache_source":null,"response_status_code":201,"request_verb":"POST","x-apigee.edge.true_client_ip":"104.209.233.38","apigee_sdk_client_orgname":null,"x-apigee.edge.execution.stats.response_flow_end_timestamp":1631811649199,"gateway_source":"message_processor","target":"Retrieve Primary BP from Email TargetEndpoint","x-apigee.intelligence.client_ip_country":null,"environment":"prod","client_received_end_timestamp":1631811648364,"target_ip":"xxxxxxxxx","organization":"cust","x-apigee.edge.execution.stats.response_flow_start_timestamp":1631811649199,"request_path":"/sap/opu/odata/sap/ZDIG_SEARCH_BP_EMAIL_SRV/RequestSet","developer":"cust@@@BJeQzJGwIGzHXAop","target_basepath":"/sap/opu/odata/sap/ZDIG_SEARCH_BP_EMAIL_SRV/RequestSet","flow_resource":null,"x-apigee.intelligence.client_ip_city":null,"gateway_flow_id":"lcltcust1edgp06-123559-840635-44","apiproxy_revision":"12"}

0 Karma

nls7010
Path Finder

There does not appear to be a specific field, so I'm thinking he is making this field at search:

nls7010_0-1631815962115.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you get the raw event and paste it into a code block </>

It is difficult to know what's going on without seeing the real data.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you expand the fields for that event 

ITWhisperer_0-1631812890639.png

and show the developer_app field contents

Also, can you share the _raw field?

0 Karma

nls7010
Path Finder

This is an update from my client:

To make sure I understand, you are asking if developer_app can be different values in a unique combination of hits per mydate+developer_app combinations, right (i.e. if I look in the event, can I have two developer apps in the event details)? They cannot be; for a single request, there can only be 1 developer app.

I’m trying to get to a result set where I can say:

• I have 50 total calls to a service. 25 were from CC-R5-SITECORE-App and 25 were from CC-R5-IMP-SUPERUSER-App

If I add developer_app as a group by parameter, I was thinking I would see the result above where I get a unique number of hits per combination of date+developer+app

0 Karma

nls7010
Path Finder

I will ask the client what he set up.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...