Splunk Search

Need help with a search where I am using streamstats and timechart?

phularah
Communicator

I am trying to create a search where if there is a change of 30 percent within 5 mins of a few field values, I would like to create an alert.

The search should take a sum of the field values where field names are like traffic_in#abc and traffic_out#abc, and then use delta command to find difference between current and previous values. Now, the issue is I have 11 field values like abc(e.g., abc, cde,efg etc.) and I want delta of total of (traffic_in#***+traffic_out#***) and then find the values when traffic has changed by over 30%.

The search that I have can be used when I have only one value like abc, but I want to change it so that it can work with multiple values.

The search is :

eventtype=cacti:mirage host="onl-cacti-02" host_id=193 ldi IN("8835","8836","8837","8839","8840","8841","8846","8847","8848","8843","8844",)
| reverse
| eval combination=rrdn+"#"+name_cache
| streamstats current=t window=2 global=f range(_time) as deltaTime range(rrdv) AS rrd_value_delta by combination
| eval isTraffic = if(like(rrdn,"%traffic%"),1,0)
| eval kpi = if(isTraffic==1,rrd_value_delta*8/deltaTime,rrd_value_delta/deltaTime)
| timechart limit=0 useother=f span=5min last(kpi) by combination
| addtotals fieldname=total
| delta total as change
| eval change_percent=change/(total-change)*100
| timechart span=5min first(total) AS total_traffic, first(change_percent) AS traffic_change
| where abs(traffic_change) > 30

Labels (4)
0 Karma

jdunlea
Contributor

Are you trying to measure for a 30% difference for any one of the values? 

In other words: "If any of these values (combination) have a difference of >30%, then fire an alert"

0 Karma

phularah
Communicator

Yes, that's what I want. When a sum of field value of any(traffic_in#xyz and traffic_out#xyz) at let's say 12:15 is greater than 30% of the same at 12:10, fire an alert and show all of those fields where this condition is satisfied.

0 Karma

jdunlea
Contributor

I think part of your problem is that you are losing the reference to the "combination" field by doing your first timechart. 

You could try something like the following:

(Note: I have not tested this as I do not have access to your data)

eventtype=cacti:mirage host="onl-cacti-02" host_id=193 ldi IN("8835","8836","8837","8839","8840","8841","8846","8847","8848","8843","8844",)
| reverse
| eval combination=rrdn+"#"+name_cache
| streamstats current=t window=2 global=f range(_time) as deltaTime range(rrdv) AS rrd_value_delta by combination
| eval isTraffic = if(like(rrdn,"%traffic%"),1,0)
| eval kpi = if(isTraffic==1,rrd_value_delta*8/deltaTime,rrd_value_delta/deltaTime)
| bucket _time span=5m
| stats last(kpi) as last_kpi by combination _time
| sort combination _time
| streamstats current=t window=2 range(last_kpi) as last_kpi_diff by combination
| eval change_percent=(last_kpi/(last_kpi-last_kpi_diff))*100 
| where change_percent>30 AND last_kpi_diff!=0

0 Karma

phularah
Communicator

It still didn't actually solve my problem. I need some formula that can accurately determine the percentage. 
E.g., if I have values like 2,10 and and so on and last_kpi_diff is 8, then change is abs(10/(10-8)*100)=500, that's ok.
But, if I have values like 10,2 and so on and last_kpi_diff is 8, then change is abs(2/(2-8)*100)=33,  which is not ok. Change should have been 20 here with abs(2/(2-(-8)))=20.

Need some functionality that can give the actual difference rather than absolute difference as given by range() function. I know there isn't any function that gives actual difference.

0 Karma

jdunlea
Contributor

It might also be possible for you to get rid of the first streamstats and just construct the table you need using stats, and then doing the second streamstats (as you can see in my suggestion above) to get the difference in the values.

0 Karma

phularah
Communicator

The search output with a part of the search is 

phularah_0-1666268572546.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...