Splunk Search

Need help on rtrim command

nnimbe1
Path Finder

Hi Team,

I am using rtrim command to trim some values, but its not working for all the values,as per below screenshot i need to trim everything from _-D in all values, its working for first one for remaining values its not working, can anyone please provide some solution to it. Or in case of any regex please suggest

sap process error.JPG 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The rtrim command (and ltrim and trim as well) do not take regular expressions.  The second argument is a list of characters that will be removed.  In the example, four characters will be removed if present: underscore, hyphen, upper-case D, and asterisk.

To remove characters based on a regular expression, use rex mode=sed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

nnimbe1
Path Finder

@richgalloway  Thanks, but if you can help with rex expression using which if i can exclude everything from _ -D in all values then it will be helpful

0 Karma

vijetagalani
Observer

@nnimbe1 You can try the below search. The reason rtrim is working only for few is that you need to specify complete string that needs to be truncated from right. You can either use the rex command or use split and mvindex to get the desired result

index=linux host=*  source=ps sapstasrtsrv| eval temp=split(ARGS,"_-d")|eval ARGS=mvindex(temp,0)

0 Karma

nnimbe1
Path Finder

@vijetagalani , thanks but unfortunately its not working, if you can help me with rex expression using which i can exclude everything from _-D in ARGS  field then it will be helpful

sap11.JPG

0 Karma

nnimbe1
Path Finder

@ITWhisperer ,thanks but unfortunately its not working, if you can help me with rex expression using which i can exclude everything from _-D in ARGS  field then it will be helpfulsap12.JPG

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The fact that you are not getting any events has nothing to do with the rex, your base search

index=linux host=* source=ps sapstasrtsrv

is not returning any events for the 24 hour time period you specified. Fix this and reapply the rex

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=ARGS "(?<ARGS>.*)_-D"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...