Splunk Search

Need help defining fields

johnnybravo
Explorer

I want to use dedup to reduce occurrences of the same event like the following:

%IP-4-DUPADDR: Duplicate address 1.1.1.1 on Vlan100, sourced by 0000.5ee5.deed

However if the IP address, VLAN, or MAC address is different then I don't want to dedup it. I tried defining the whole block of text as a field, but that doesn't appear to work. It seems like a field cannot include spaces.

How do I go about defining this so that if the message is of type IP-4-DUPADDR and the address info is the same, dedup it?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I might approach it similar to this:

IP-4-DUPADDR 
| rex "Duplicate address (?<ipaddr>[^\s]+) on (?<vlan>[^\s]+) sourced by (?<macaddr>[^\s]+)
| dedup 1 vlan,ipaddr,macaddr

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I might approach it similar to this:

IP-4-DUPADDR 
| rex "Duplicate address (?<ipaddr>[^\s]+) on (?<vlan>[^\s]+) sourced by (?<macaddr>[^\s]+)
| dedup 1 vlan,ipaddr,macaddr

johnnybravo
Explorer

Thank you, that works!

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Fields can absolutely contain spaces! There is no such limitation.

When you say the fields are "the same" or "different", what is that in comparison to, the previous event? Anyway, you can either extract the whole string like you say, or you can dedup based on all fields.

johnnybravo
Explorer

Good to know they can contain spaces. I think my problem is getting the comma to delimit correctly. If I enclose the entire example message above with # in the field picker, it finds no results. If I don't add the #, it wants to add two fields, before and after the comma.

Yes, they would be the same or different in comparison to previous events for that host.

Thanks for the reply!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...