Splunk Search

[Need help] command "bin span=1d _time" doesn't split stats count by day.

cheriemilk
Path Finder

Hi team,

1. I have below query 

<base query here>
| rex field=_raw "POST\s+(?<RequestURL>.*)HTTP.*company\=(?<CMID>.*?)\&"
| eval autosave=if(RequestURL like "%autosave=true%", "1", "0")
| bin span=1d _time
| stats count(eval(autosave=1)) as autosave count(eval(autosave=0 OR autosave=1)) as total by _time,SFDC
| eval percent=round(autosave * 100 / total,2)
| chart values(total) as total values(autosave) as autosave values(percent) as percent by _time, SFDC

2. but the table returned to me is not formtted with what I sepcified in above query "bin span=1d _time", the table has two rows for each day, which is not what i want. please refer to below screenshot.

wrong.jpg

3.  here is expected result i want.  how to  modify the query to achive expected result?

correct.jpg

Labels (3)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You get a row for each unique combination of fields, in your case _time and SFDC

0 Karma

cheriemilk
Path Finder

but i specify span=1d, why the stats result is not split by a day? 

I tried with by _ time only, and remove SFDC after by clause. the stats result is still not returned by day. As you see from 1st screenshot, same date still appeared multiple times.

Thanks,

Cherie

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats values(*) as * by _time
0 Karma

cheriemilk
Path Finder

Hi @ITWhisperer  and @isoutamo ,

I change span=1d to span=24h, and not the table split the data by day. please refer to below screenshot.

I think span=1d and span=24h are same. why they ouput different result?

1. with span=24h  (this is what i want to get.)

cheriemilk_0-1602552922447.png

2. with span=1d (this is what I don't want to get as same day appears multiple times.)

cheriemilk_1-1602553091677.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please show the queries you used for the two screenshots

As for different results, span=1d will snap to the day and span=24h will snap to the hour, so if you time range starts at 07:10 on 2020/10/09 and finished at 20:32 on 2020/10/12, with span=1d your first bin will include results from 07:10 on 2020/10/09 until 23:59:59 on 2020/10/09 and the second bin starts at 00:00 on 2020/10/10 until 23:59:59 on 2020/10/10 etc. whereas with span=24h your first bin will include results from 07:10 on 2020/10/09 until 06:59:59 on 2020/10/10 and the second bin starts at 07:00 on 2020/10/10 until 06:59:59 on 2020/10/11

0 Karma

cheriemilk
Path Finder

Hi @ITWhisperer 

Here are the queries for two screenshots. 

1. query with span=1d and result screenshot. Time Range for these 2 queries are both ' 2 days before' that I selected from from time range picker.

(host=pc* OR servername=pc*) AND
(( index=*bizx_web sourcetype=access_log_bizx AND "POST /acme?acme_form_type=pm360&itrModule=talent&_s.crb=*" )
OR ( index=*bix_application sourcetype=server_log_bizx AND SaveFormImpl "Total Time for createDetailedRecords" ))
| bin span=1d _time
| stats count(eval(autosave=1)) as autosave count(eval(autosave=0 OR autosave=1)) as total by _time SFDC
| chart values(total) as total values(autosave) as autosave values(percent) as percent by _time SFDC useother=false limit=0

As you see , the stats count result is not splitted by a day. Looks like it was splitted by hours.

cheriemilk_0-1602662068990.png

2. query with span=24h and result screenshot is 

(host=pc* OR servername=pc*) AND
(( index=*bizx_web sourcetype=access_log_bizx AND "POST /acme?acme_form_type=pm360&itrModule=talent&_s.crb=*" )
OR ( index=*bix_application sourcetype=server_log_bizx AND SaveFormImpl "Total Time for createDetailedRecords" ))
| bin span=24h _time
| stats count(eval(autosave=1)) as autosave count(eval(autosave=0 OR autosave=1)) as total by _time SFDC
| chart values(total) as total values(autosave) as autosave values(percent) as percent by _time SFDC useother=false limit=0

cheriemilk_1-1602662139977.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cheriemilk 

I am unable to replicate your results. Please check that you are using the latest version of splunk and if the problem still occurs, raise a support request with splunk.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
What is your time selection for query? Is it something like earliest=-7d@d or just -7d? If last one then please try to add @d to the end of it.
r. Ismo
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Here is instructions and explanations what those time selections means.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/Search/Specifytimemodifiersinyoursearch
r. Ismo
0 Karma

cheriemilk
Path Finder

time selection is '7 days before' selected from time range picker.  i didn't add 'earliest= xx' in the query.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...