Splunk Search

My lookup in a macro works in a search, but why does it not work using savedsearch command?

rgsage
Path Finder

We are on Splunk 6.2.1. This is all in Splunk search...

I have a macro with lookup which works fine in a simple search but when I save the search and attempt to invoke from | savedsearch ... I get this error:

Error in 'lookup' command: Could not find all of the specified destination fields in the lookup table.

Details: lookup file my_test.csv like this:

key,value
A,1
B,2

And very simple macro my_macro like this:

lookup my_test.csv key OUTPUT value

And very simple search "my_search" like this:

index=my_index [edited]
| eval key = "A"
| `my_macro` 
| table _time key value

So far everything works fine. All rows have key=A, value=1.

When I do:

| savedsearch "my_search"

I get error message:

"Error in 'lookup' command: Could not find all of the specified destination fields in the lookup table."

Job inspector shows eventSearch (only):

search index=my_index [Edited] | eval key = "A"

Any ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In general, programmers should avoid using keywords as variable names. You never know when such mixed nomenclature will confuse the data plumbing. I'm suspecting that the issue in this case is either the variable name "value" or the action of the OUTPUT key word.

Try changing the code to the following -

inkey,outvalue
 A,1
 B,2

lookup my_test.csv inkey as mykey OUTPUT outvalue as myvalue

index=my_index [edited]
 | eval mykey = "A"
 | eval myvalue = "whocares"
 | `my_macro` 
 | table _time mykey myvalue

If either of my suspected issues is correct, that code should fix it.

(The variable names I wanted changed because I would normally use fillnull to set the value for the field "value", and value is a keyword used to set the value you are going to fill for nulls.)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In general, programmers should avoid using keywords as variable names. You never know when such mixed nomenclature will confuse the data plumbing. I'm suspecting that the issue in this case is either the variable name "value" or the action of the OUTPUT key word.

Try changing the code to the following -

inkey,outvalue
 A,1
 B,2

lookup my_test.csv inkey as mykey OUTPUT outvalue as myvalue

index=my_index [edited]
 | eval mykey = "A"
 | eval myvalue = "whocares"
 | `my_macro` 
 | table _time mykey myvalue

If either of my suspected issues is correct, that code should fix it.

(The variable names I wanted changed because I would normally use fillnull to set the value for the field "value", and value is a keyword used to set the value you are going to fill for nulls.)

0 Karma

rgsage
Path Finder

Thank you for your reply! Turns out your second guess was correct: OUTPUT was the culprit. For some reason when used with savedsearch, the lookup must have an explicit OUTPUT foo AS something.

In my case this macro works in normal search, but not from savedsearch:

lookup my_test.csv key OUTPUT value

This macro works in normal search, AND from savedsearch:

lookup my_test.csv key OUTPUT value as value

Here is an interesting additional wrinkle that may help someone... If the lookup macro has a trailing space ("lookup my_test.csv OUTPUT value AS value ") it will again work in normal search but again NOT from savedsearch. Wow.

Perhaps @ssievert did not see this behavior because there are some Splunk bugs here that have been fixed since 6.2.1... Thanks again!

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're welcome. Yes, I've come to trust that, if reading something makes me ITCH, there's probably a hidden gotcha.

Twenty years ago, I'd tell my junior programmers when they showed me a creative way of doing something, "Well, I wouldn't do it that way, but it ought to work."

Often, they'd be back an hour later to tell me about their new problem, and I'd remember. "Oh, yeah, THAT'S why I wouldn't do it that way."

Nowadays, I just raise my eyebrow and say, "THIS PART makes me itch. I'd rewrite that to do X, Y and Z." Usually, they do.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Of course, if somesoni2 shows me a creative way to do something, then I study it until it feels natural, find another application for it, then I put it in my toolbox.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Permissions...? Is the saved search running in an app context that has visibility to the macro? I suspect the macro is in your private user space and not visible by the saved search. Try setting permissions for your macro to 'global' and see if that changes things.

0 Karma

rgsage
Path Finder

Thank you for quick reply. Sorry I should have included in the details my_macro is saved as Sharing=Global, with Permissions: Read access for Everyone.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What about lookup table file permissions?

0 Karma

rgsage
Path Finder

Lookup file was added directly to the filesystem (as with all our lookups), and looks like (from Settings/Lookups/Lookup table files page) in that case Splunk defaults to Sharing=Global.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hmm, I just tested this on my local 6.5.0 instance without issues.
Take a look at the search.log for your execution (there's a link to it a the top (and bottom) of the Job Inspector window and see if you can find any hints.

0 Karma

rgsage
Path Finder

The only interesting lines from search.log are:
02-06-2017 11:12:35.917 INFO LookupOperator - Assuming table name 'my_test.csv' is implicit filename.
02-06-2017 11:12:35.918 ERROR LookupOperator - Error in 'lookup' command: Could not find all of the specified destination fields in the lookup table.
02-06-2017 11:12:35.930 INFO ShutdownHandler - Shutdown complete in 281 microseconds
02-06-2017 11:12:35.931 ERROR dispatchRunner - RunDispatch::runDispatchThread threw error: Error in 'lookup' command: Could not find all of the specified destination fields in the lookup table.
[End]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...