Splunk Search

Multiple inputs in dashboard

Raging_Rags
Engager

I have multiple inputs(3 INPUTS) in a dashboard, I run a sql in the panels. I want to execute a query if the other two values are null. Can you help me with the query.

|dbxquery connection="*" query="select * from usr where mID like 'id=$dn$%'". Other values $in_ID, ex_ID. I want to execute this query if values of $in_ID, ex_ID is null.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Raging_Rags ,

probably this isn't the answer you're waiting for: your approach isn't efficient because dbxquery in a panel is a very slow command.

dbxquery is a command (as dbxlookup) to extract data from a db and put them in an index (or in a lookup) with scheduled searches as less frequent as possible, then you can use the extracted data for your Splunk searches that are very efficient.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Raging_Rags
Engager

Yeah, That's a good idea, but  I'm working on a dynamic database, which at least 100K data get indexed in the table. So, I'm not indexing it in Splunk just connecting the DB to Splunk.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Raging_Rags ,

maybe I shouldn't say it but I would say that in your case maybe Splunk is not the optimal solution: If you have to work with a database, use another tool.

Access to DB tables is useful to trace a process or to enrich a search, it isn't another interface to DB!

Splunk and a DB has a completely different approach to data searching.

For this reason I suggested to periodically extract data from a DB putting them in an index or in a lookup (eventually in a KV Store that's like a DB).

Think if you can follow this approach: a daily update of all the table and periodically (e.g. every hour) extraction of the updates, in this way you'll have a near real time situation but much much more usable.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...