Splunk Search

Most efficient way to filter results matching a list of values in either of two(+) fields?

hackwerks
Engager

Hello everyone. I'm trying to find the most efficient way to filter results for a list of values that may have a match within two (or more) distinct fields. Say, a list of IP addresses that can match either the source or destination fields. I'm almost certain this question has been answered in the past but I couldn't find the correct wording to find the answer (am braindead atm), so here I am.

To help filter some potential answers to my request, I do know that I can do something like:
index=my_index ...etc... (field1 IN (value1, value2, value3, value4, value5, ...) OR field2 IN (value1, value2, value3, value4, value5, ...))

However, what I am attempting to do is make this query more "efficient". Or, perhaps just less of an eye-sore. Provided a list of 10+ values to filter for, it's easy to see how this query can get out of hand at least visually. Here is an example query I intuitively tried that should help illustrate what I'm looking for:
index=my_index ...etc... (field1 OR field2 IN (value1, value2, value3, value4, value5, ...))

Splunk Pros, please help: What am I overlooking/overthinking? Or is my first example the best (or most "efficient") way to go about this?

Thanks so much!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for posing this question.  Boy, do I have eyesore problem of my own:-)  One workaround is to use macro.  You can put any literal in a macro, such as "(value1, value2, value3, value4, value5, ...)" so your search becomes

index=my_index ...etc... (field1 IN `mymacro` OR field2 IN `mymacro`)

You can even make "IN (value1, value2, value3, value4, value5, ...)" your macro so the search becomes

index=my_index ...etc... (field1 `myinmacro` OR field2 `myinmacro`)

With this method, you cannot parameterize or the eyesore returns. (Suffice to say, macro is not a cure-all.  Hence my own eyesores:-)

OT: A classic solution to this type of eyesore is iteration.  In non-search languages, iteration doesn't compromise efficiency much.  The following SPL iteration will give you the same result, but at terrible cost.

index=my_index ...etc...
| foreach field1 field2
  [eval good=mvmap(<<FIELD>>, if(<<FIELD>> IN (value1, value2, value3, value4, value5, ...), "good", good))]
| where isnotnull(good)

View solution in original post

hackwerks
Engager

@gcusello & @yuanliu - Excellent ideas. I'm clearly too new to the platform to be aware of those options. Thank you both very, very much for your prompt responses!

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for posing this question.  Boy, do I have eyesore problem of my own:-)  One workaround is to use macro.  You can put any literal in a macro, such as "(value1, value2, value3, value4, value5, ...)" so your search becomes

index=my_index ...etc... (field1 IN `mymacro` OR field2 IN `mymacro`)

You can even make "IN (value1, value2, value3, value4, value5, ...)" your macro so the search becomes

index=my_index ...etc... (field1 `myinmacro` OR field2 `myinmacro`)

With this method, you cannot parameterize or the eyesore returns. (Suffice to say, macro is not a cure-all.  Hence my own eyesores:-)

OT: A classic solution to this type of eyesore is iteration.  In non-search languages, iteration doesn't compromise efficiency much.  The following SPL iteration will give you the same result, but at terrible cost.

index=my_index ...etc...
| foreach field1 field2
  [eval good=mvmap(<<FIELD>>, if(<<FIELD>> IN (value1, value2, value3, value4, value5, ...), "good", good))]
| where isnotnull(good)

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hackwerks,

maybe this could be a good workaround:

put the values in a lookup (called e.g. patterns.csv, with one column called e.g. "pattern") and run something like this:

index=my_index [ | inputlookup patterns.csv | rename pattern AS query | fields query ]

in this way, you run a full text search, using the values in the lookup, on you index.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...