Splunk Search

Mimicing groupby & join behavior to get group aggregates

leecaf
Explorer

Referring to table below, If it started with only Col1 and Col2. In a relational DB I would do a groupby followed by a join on 'col1' to get the derived col 'MaxOfCol1' . is there a better to do it in splunk since joins are inefficient?

+------+------+-----------+
| Col1 | Col2 | MaxOfCol1 |
|    1 |    1 |         3 |
|    1 |    2 |         3 |
|    1 |    3 |         3 |
|    2 |    4 |        55 |
|    2 |    2 |        55 |
|    2 |   55 |        55 |
|    3 |   12 |        12 |
|    3 |    3 |        12 |
|    3 |    1 |        12 |
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

brettcave
Builder

1 function: stats.

Provide some sample data for more....
Keep this open for reference: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Commonstatsfunctions

View solution in original post

0 Karma

leecaf
Explorer

every event has a field called Col1 and Col2 as per the table above. I want to do an 'eval' like operation which will add the 3rd field MaxOfCol1 to each event.

0 Karma

brettcave
Builder

1 function: stats.

Provide some sample data for more....
Keep this open for reference: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Commonstatsfunctions

0 Karma

brettcave
Builder

you could use transaction command too, and then use eval with some MV functions. You can also propogate 1 field to multiple events using stats values(col2) as col2_distinct by col1 | mvexpand col2_distinct. stats + values = a distinct list. stats + list = a full list.

Ayn
Legend

... | eventstats max(col2) as maxofcol1 by col1 | table col1 col2 maxofcol1

leecaf
Explorer

I am aware of stats but 'stats max(col2) by col1' would return only the aggregates. I can join this with my original events but is that really the best way? or is there a cleverer more efficient way of doing this?

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Out of what? Splunk doesn't have columns in that sense, to begin with.

0 Karma

leecaf
Explorer

I want to produce a table with Col1, Col2, Col2-MaxOfCol1. that's the end goal.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

I think you need to submit sample events and what you want to do. Trying to apply SQL terms right away in Splunk often leads to confusion.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...