Splunk Search

Merging similar error strings

erica
Explorer

this is similar to https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Merging-with-similar-strings-without-eval/m-p/484972

It works perfect if the difference is at the end of the strings. But I do have some additional strings that are slightly different in the middle.

My Current Query

Base search
| eval Error=message
| rex mode=sed "s/(?m)^\s+//g"
| rex field=Error mode=sed "s/^((?<Msg>.+)\s)\S+/\1*/"
| top 25 Error,file_line,level by build | table build level count file_line Error

Error String Example 1: 

No exception occurred when displaying value for task=inspect entity.name=software propertyKey=keyNameForSomething. Please write a rule *

No exception occurred when displaying value for task=inspect entity.name=software propertyKey=keyNameForSomethingElse. Please write a rule *

No exception occurred when displaying value for task=inspect entity.name=software propertyKey=keyNameForSomethingElseElse. Please write a rule *

Error String Example 2

Locale is null for the language, es with ec, com.EditingContext@1y3y1u3e. Skip this *

Locale is null for the language, en with ec, com.ITEditingContext@2y5f3u3e. Skip this *

--- 

I would hope my output to be the following or similar: 

Count,  Error

3, No exception occurred when displaying value for task=inspect entity.name=software propertyKey=*. Please write a rule *

2, Locale is null for the language, *

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=Error mode=sed "s/propertyKey=[^\.]+\./propertyKey=*./g"
| rex field=Error mode=sed "s/Locale is null for the language, .*/Locale is null for the language, */g"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might want to try https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3109/

Disclaimer: Haven't used it myself. It's just what I found by searching for "splunk fuzzy match".

Another one is https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/5237/

0 Karma

erica
Explorer

I have a bunch of other error messages, so im trying to refrain from being too specific with the rex string

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

if you are not interested those exact error messages you can use field punct to grouping those.

| stats values(error_msg) as error by punct

Probably it didn't give you a exactly what you are wanting but maybe you can use is as a starting point?

r. Ismo 

0 Karma

erica
Explorer

Hmm Im not sure how punct is used here? 

it turns the error into serious of character and im not able to get any result with any grouping command 
eg: 

| Top 25 punct

erica_1-1638366525305.png

Tags (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

https://docs.splunk.com/Splexicon:Punct

Basically punct shows somekind of pattern of _raw.  This means that it also shows pattern of your error message. If those error messages are enough close to each other then those puncts are same even e.g. words are not exactly same. Maybe as I already said this is not a best option for you case but e.g. classifying errors in _internal it works quite well.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't need to be completely specific, you do however have to identify match patterns to cover each of the types of error message you wish to change. Since you only provided two types of examples, which don't appear to have a common pattern, there are two rex expressions.

0 Karma

erica
Explorer

ah. I was hoping there could be a pattern for those.

Thank you! 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=Error mode=sed "s/propertyKey=[^\.]+\./propertyKey=*./g"
| rex field=Error mode=sed "s/Locale is null for the language, .*/Locale is null for the language, */g"
0 Karma

erica
Explorer

But I have a bunch of other errors, these 2 are just samples. 

So I want to refrain from being too specific with the rex string

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...