Splunk Search

Merging events from two indexes

corti77
Communicator

I would like to create a dashboard to query the logs of our two firewall devices (paloalto and sns). Both has their own index created. 

Firstly I tried to simply query both indexes

index=pan_logs OR index=sns
| table _time, action, src_ip, dest_ip, app, user, src_port, dest_port, bytes

with the issue that in the stormshield index some fields are named slightly different. I then tried to rename the values in order to merge all events from both indexes... but I didnt succeed.

index=pan_logs
[ search
index=sns
| rename src as src_ip, dst as dest_ip
| eval bytes=bytes_in+bytes_out ]

could someone point me to the right direction?

thanks a lot.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @corti77,

your first approach is better: you have to use eval and rename to merge data, something like this:

| eval src_ip=if(index="sns",src,src_ip), dest_ip=if(index="sns",dst,dest_ip),  bytes=bytes_in+bytes_out 
| table _time action src_ip dest_ip app user src_port dest_port bytes

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The second search was very close.  Using a subsearch creates a very different type of query, however.  Just add the rename command - there' s no need to associated it with a specific index because it will only apply to events with the stated fields.

| rename src as src_ip, dst as dest_ip
| eval bytes=bytes_in+bytes_out
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

corti77
Communicator

the field bytes already existed in paloalto logs, so with your query it might get overwrote .

below my draft query so far, using few variables

| eval src_ip=if(index="sns",src,src_ip), dest_ip=if(index="sns",dst,dest_ip), bytes_new=if(index="sns",bytes_in+bytes_out, bytes)
| search src_ip="$source_ip$" AND dest_ip="$destination_ip$" AND action="$fw_action$"
| table _time, index, host, action, src_ip, dest_ip, app, user, src_port, dest_port, bytes_new, vendor_action

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @corti77,

your first approach is better: you have to use eval and rename to merge data, something like this:

| eval src_ip=if(index="sns",src,src_ip), dest_ip=if(index="sns",dst,dest_ip),  bytes=bytes_in+bytes_out 
| table _time action src_ip dest_ip app user src_port dest_port bytes

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...