Splunk Search

Merge Powershell: Why the errors outputs from Universal Forwarders in index="_internal"?

denissotoacc
Path Finder

Hello all,

We receive the "splunkd.log" from every Universal Forwarder into our "_internal" index.  There are some events with log_level=ERROR that I need to analize, some of them are related to PowerShell script execution errors.
The issue with this events is that the script outputs the error in several lines and the event is splitted in multiple events, all of them with the same "_time" (in the image below, the field "a_fechahora" is = _time)

denissotoacc_0-1651602953493.png

I was able to merge the "a_mensaje" rows by "_time", but there are some issue with the order of the rows:

denissotoacc_1-1651603372733.png

E.g. 
As you can see in green, the "Co" statement is incomplete, and it continues some lines below with the "mmandNotFoundException". Same happens with "or if a pat" (...) "h was included"

Is this a common / known issue? Is there any way to prevent this messed lines in powershell outputs?

Regards,

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The solution for this is to use streamstats/sort

The events will arrive in Splunk with the same time, but will come out of Splunk in the search in the reverse order of ingest sequence. You can see that behaviour in your original example.

So, to handle that situation, you should use "streamstats c" (same as streamstats count)

In this way, the events will be assigned a number with 1 being the latest message sequence. You can then sort by - c and reverse the sequence and then use stats list (don't use values, as that removes duplicates and will sort the values).

Here's your example 

| makeresults | eval _time=now(), broken_message="order, in only one event."
| append 
    [ | makeresults |  eval _time=now(), broken_message="ge it in the correct " ]
| append 
    [ | makeresults |  eval _time=now(), broken_message="events, and I need to mer" ]
| append 
    [ | makeresults | eval _time=now(),  broken_message="in multiple " ]
| append 
    [ | makeresults | eval _time=now(), broken_message="is broken " ]
| append 
    [ | makeresults | eval _time=now(), broken_message="This message" ]
| streamstats c
| sort - c
| stats list(broken_message) as message by _time
| eval message=mvjoin(message, "")

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is probably a way to fix the original issue, but as far as merging your data correctly, how are you doing it?

The rows in your initial table appear to be in the correct reverse order, so it should be possible to order them correctly with 

| sort _time
| stats list(_raw) as _raw by _time
| eval _raw=mvjoin(_raw, "")

0 Karma

denissotoacc
Path Finder

The problem is that the _time field is exactly the same between events, and there is no way to "sort" it in a logical way. I've created this search as an example:

| append 
    [ | makeresults |  eval _time=now(), broken_message="ge it in the correct" ]
| append 
    [ | makeresults |  eval _time=now(), broken_message="events, and I need to mer" ]
| append 
    [ | makeresults | eval _time=now(),  broken_message="in multiple" ]
| append 
    [ | makeresults | eval _time=now(), broken_message="is broken" ]
| append 

This is the output:

_timebroken_message
2022-05-06 12:06:04order, in only one event.
2022-05-06 12:06:04ge it in the correct
2022-05-06 12:06:04events, and I need to mer
2022-05-06 12:06:04in multiple
2022-05-06 12:06:04is broken
2022-05-06 12:06:04This message

The way I find to merge the message is this:

| eventstats values(broken_message) as message by _time
| mvcombine delim="" message
| table message

And this is the result with the wrong order:

This message events, and I need to mer ge it in the correct in multiple is broken order, in only one event.

The output of your suggested method is not exactly the same, but it is also disordered:

| sort _time
| eventstats list(broken_message) as message by _time
| mvcombine delim="" message
| table message

Note that I needed to add "mvcombine" in order to merge the "list" output in a single line. And here is the output:

order, in only one event. ge it in the correct events, and I need to mer in multiple is broken This message

So, there is no logical way to sort it in the correct way. That's why my first question was related to the powershell ERROR output in _internal index. I suppose the same happens in every Splunk instance, is not an isolated error. So, Is this a know issue? and if so, is there a workaround for this?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The solution for this is to use streamstats/sort

The events will arrive in Splunk with the same time, but will come out of Splunk in the search in the reverse order of ingest sequence. You can see that behaviour in your original example.

So, to handle that situation, you should use "streamstats c" (same as streamstats count)

In this way, the events will be assigned a number with 1 being the latest message sequence. You can then sort by - c and reverse the sequence and then use stats list (don't use values, as that removes duplicates and will sort the values).

Here's your example 

| append 
    [ | makeresults |  eval _time=now(), broken_message="ge it in the correct " ]
| append 
| append 
    [ | makeresults | eval _time=now(),  broken_message="in multiple " ]
| append 
    [ | makeresults | eval _time=now(), broken_message="is broken " ]
| append 
| streamstats c
| sort - c
| stats list(broken_message) as message by _time
| eval message=mvjoin(message, "")

denissotoacc
Path Finder

This is exactly what I needed. Now the output is in the correct order. Thanks!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...