Splunk Search

Maximum recommended file size of lookups?

efaundez
Path Finder

good morning

Currently our cluster environment, reports errors with lookups associated with the size "The current bundle directory contains a large lookup file that might cause bundle replication fail". Is there official information of the recommended maximum size for these files? I know that by history, using these files and updating them is a bad practice since this generates a lot of traffic and even more if there are many lookups that are constantly updated, generating a new bundle and replication in all the cluster

Any information is welcome

regards

0 Karma

skalliger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What's the size of the lookup? How are you updating it?
As far as I know, there's nothing documented public. Are you over 1GB already? Then might might just want to switch to a KV store.

Skalli

0 Karma

efaundez
Path Finder

currently we have many lookups up to 1.2GB in size, of which some are updated 1 time a day and others every 5 minutes.

Of the improvements we make is to add them to a blacklist, but we must validate in certain cases that these have not been declared as automatic lookups since the cluster reports that the indexers can not build the lookups.

regards

0 Karma

skalliger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For the lookups being updated often, have you thought about migrating them to KV stores?

0 Karma

starcher
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Updating look-ups that big in KVStore will have it's own issues. KVStore does not compress and you have to enlarge OPLOG limit if in a SHC. Especially if updating so fast. That also does not help auto lookups as sharing to indexers is still in csv. Lookups this big should only be used in searches that are well factored to reduce results so they can occur on the search head and do lookup enrichment as very last step in the search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...