Splunk Search

Mask the last 4 digits of a number which is 8 digits longer

VipeRafajzat
Explorer

Hello!

I am struggling to mask the last 4 digits of my numbers.

| rex field=FIELD_XY mode=sed "s/[0-9#]{3}$/###/g"

With this code I am able to mask the last 4 digits of all kind of numbers in my table to ####. So the numbers looking like : 123456####.

What I cannot do is to apply this masking only those numbers which are 8 digits or more long.  Tried several options and played with regex, but it didn't mask it or over masking everything .

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this run-anywhere example query.

| makeresults | eval FIELD_XY="12345~12345678" | eval FIELD_XY=split(FIELD_XY,"~") | mvexpand FIELD_XY
```Above just creates test data```
| rex field=FIELD_XY mode=sed "s/(\d{4,})[0-9#]{4}$/\1####/g"

The regex looks for a group of a least 4 digits followed by 4 digits or octothorpes.  It then retains the group and replaces the remaining four characters with octothorpes.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| makeresults | eval _raw="1234567890 12345678 1234567"
| rex mode=sed max_match=0 "s/([0-9]{4})([0-9]{4})($|[^0-9])/\1XXXX\3/g"
0 Karma

VipeRafajzat
Explorer

Thank you!

It was almost perfect, except that it failed if the last digit was a #, then it was not masked with XXXX then.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this run-anywhere example query.

| makeresults | eval FIELD_XY="12345~12345678" | eval FIELD_XY=split(FIELD_XY,"~") | mvexpand FIELD_XY
```Above just creates test data```
| rex field=FIELD_XY mode=sed "s/(\d{4,})[0-9#]{4}$/\1####/g"

The regex looks for a group of a least 4 digits followed by 4 digits or octothorpes.  It then retains the group and replaces the remaining four characters with octothorpes.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

VipeRafajzat
Explorer

Thank you!

This was the solution what I was looking for 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...