Splunk Search

Lookup table performance question

jambajuice
Communicator

I am experimenting with some searches that will need to do lookups on some fairly big tables (30 MB or more). I'm wondering whether it will be faster for Splunk to do a single lookup on a really large table or if I should just chain together several lookups on smaller tables. And I'm curious how big a table can get before it should be broken down into smaller sequential lookups (if ever).

Thx.

Tags (1)

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There aren't any absolutes, but:

• if you have a large lookup but only need to reference discrete parts of the lookup in discrete, non-overlapping searches, then it would be fine to break them into several smaller lookups
  • if you have several lookups and you intend to frequently reference more than one of them at a time (either manually via the search language or automatically via props.conf), you would be best served to combine them in to one larger lookup.
  • 30 MB lookups are not too big by any stretch, but if they change constantly and/or you have a large distributed environment, you might start to experience poor performance without some tuning
  • when a given lookup table gets rather large (more than a few hundred MB), the best practice is to move to external lookups (usually leveraging a script that queries a database or binary-tree) rather than to split the lookups into several smaller lookups
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...