Splunk Search

Lookup table of key=value limits with a random assignment of key=value fields indicating consumption with different field names

mjones414
Contributor

I have a lookup table that has information such as

resources_available_queue_a=1000
resources_available_queue_b=23
resources_available_queue_abtest=123

and so on, up to about 140 different queues.

then I have thousands of events coming into an index with the following fields:

Event1: resources_assigned_queue_a=883
Event2: resources_assigned_queue_b=20

I'm trying to take the lookup table as a capacity value and use resources assigned as a consumption value, but given the names are completely different and each event will only ever have 1 and I can't know ahead of time which one it will have, I'm struggling with the splunk logic to a join or a lookup to associate the fields in a consumed/capacity type output

End goal is I'd like to have a timechart or even just a stats table showing percentages of resources consumed of the resources assigned for all the queues.

1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Hold on to your britches! Put your "table" into a lookup file and then try this:

<Your Search Here>
| stats [|inputlookup <Your Lookup File Here>
| untable foo name value
| eval function = name
| table function name
| format "" "" ")" "" "" ""
| rex field=search mode=sed "s/  function=/max(/g s/name=/AS curr_/g s/\"//g s/ \)/)/g"]
| inputlookup append=t <Your Lookup File Here>
| eval foo="bar"
| selfjoin foo
| fields - foo
| foreach curr_* [ eval pct_<<MATCHSTR>> = 100 * curr_<<MATCHSTR>> / <<MATCSTR>> ]

You might swap max for avg or first.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Hold on to your britches! Put your "table" into a lookup file and then try this:

<Your Search Here>
| stats [|inputlookup <Your Lookup File Here>
| untable foo name value
| eval function = name
| table function name
| format "" "" ")" "" "" ""
| rex field=search mode=sed "s/  function=/max(/g s/name=/AS curr_/g s/\"//g s/ \)/)/g"]
| inputlookup append=t <Your Lookup File Here>
| eval foo="bar"
| selfjoin foo
| fields - foo
| foreach curr_* [ eval pct_<<MATCHSTR>> = 100 * curr_<<MATCHSTR>> / <<MATCSTR>> ]

You might swap max for avg or first.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

@mjones414 Come back and click Accept. You have several answers.

0 Karma

mjones414
Contributor

Thank you so much! This did get me the results I needed. Sorry for the very late acceptance!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

My answer assumes that your lookup file looks like this:

resources_available_queue_a,resources_available_queue_b,resources_available_queue_abtest,...

If it does not look like that you need to reformat it so that it does, then it will work.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you change the lookup table into comma-separated values? That's the format Splunk expects.

Assuming you can do that, you then need to match up the resources names. That's not so bad.

index=foo 
| foreach resources_assigned_* [ eval resource=resource_available_<<MATCHSTR>> 
  | lookup resources.csv resource output capacity | eval resourceUse = (<<FIELD>> * 100) / capacity ] 
| table resource capacity resourceUse
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

mjones414
Contributor

I think you've put me on the right track, but I haven't quite got it working. For whatever reason it's saying it cannot match against my lookup table from inside of the subsearch.

foo  | foreach resource_assigned_*  [ eval JobGroup ="resources_available_<<MATCHSTR>>"  | lookup resource_groups.csv resources_available_<<MATCHSTR>> as JobGroup OUTPUT "resources_available_<<MATCHSTR>>" AS Capacity ] 

I can verify that there is an exact match of the resource group name in the lookup table and that the JobGroup field is being created with a string that matches whats inside the lookup table. Its as if lookup is taking MATCHSTR literally instead of using it as a token for foreach.

0 Karma

mjones414
Contributor

I have also tried:

foreach resources_assigned_*  [ eval resources_available_<<MATCHSTR>> = <<FIELD>> | lookup resource_groups.csv resources_available_<<MATCHSTR>> OUTPUT resources_available_<<MATCHSTR>> AS Capacity   ] 

The lookup table's structure is like this:

resources_available_Queue_A,resources_available_Queue_B

Unfortunately not like:
Resource_Limits,Value
resources_available_Queue_A,29
resources_available_Queue_B,100

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your lookup table is not in the proper format, which is why Splunk is not able to find what it's looking for. See @woodcock's answer for a workaround or re-format resource_groups.csv.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...