Splunk Search

Long label text in charts

marina_rovira
Contributor

Hi all,

I've tried to find a solution with other questions, and the main thing about I found is SideViews, but all the post are before 2015.
SO, Is there any chance to change the text in chart labels, as can be make the text greater to read it better, put it in two lines when is too long and disappear in one line, etc....

I have this example here:
alt text

I had to cover the names, but I think it's visible when I have the "..." and that the idea of what I need is undertandable.

Thank you in advance!

0 Karma

afishkin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

option "charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation" with value of 45 or 90 could be better solution

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

try adding this option in the simple xml source code:

EDITED:
charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.overFlowMode with ellipsisNone

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.3/Viz/ChartConfigurationReference#Area.2C_Bubble.2C...

0 Karma

marina_rovira
Contributor

Hi, I've tried but not working. Also, is this the legend? I try with the chartlabelX properties (not working neither).

If you know some application or the best way is to do it with css or JS, it's okay. I will look for more documentation about how to do a file for and adding it to the dashboard.

Thanks!

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

sorry, check my edit, i wrote the wrong option.
you said you tried the 'chartlabelX' properties, does that mean you tried the charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.overFlowMode that i edited above?

0 Karma

marina_rovira
Contributor

It says me this:

"Warning on line 164: Unknown option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.overFlowMode" for node="chart" "

Not sure if it's being used the option if it's a warning.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

this is what you have? what version are you running? have you tried changing the rotation? I use this option quite often and have never seen that warning.

<chart>
        <search>
          <query>...</query>
          <earliest>...</earliest>
          <latest>...</latest>
        </search>
    <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisNone</option>
            <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation">0</option>
0 Karma

marina_rovira
Contributor

I have this version: Splunk Enterprise 6.5.1

These options below the search (all between 😞

<option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisNone</option>
<option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation">0</option>
<option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorTickSize">20</option>
<option name="charting.axisLabelsX.minorTickSize">10</option>
<option name="charting.axisY.scale">linear</option>
<option name="charting.chart">column</option>
<option name="charting.legend.labelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisNone</option>
<option name="charting.legend.placement">none</option>

And now the warning is gone, but the names appear truncated still.
I understand they're too long, but I don't believe there is no a way to see them in a more friendly way without rotating 90 degree (I've tried to rotate, but still, they are too long)

Thank you!

0 Karma

afishkin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are only those two options in provided cases, if label is too long

0 Karma

marina_rovira
Contributor

So there's no way to have it expanded and seeing all the name?

Too bad.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...