Splunk Search

Log file not picked up by splunk

tech8260

I'm trying to get our splunk server to index the local /var/log/audit/audit.log, but no matter what I do I don't see the log entries.

I have in etc/apps/search/local/inputs.conf:
[splunktcp://9997]

[monitor:///var/log/audit]
disabled = false

However, the audit.log entries never show up in splunk searches. The same configuration works fine if I put it on our other machines, which run universal forwarders. This problem only shows up on the indexing server.

There is additionally an input configured for /var/log in the Splunk for Unix configuration, apps/unix/local/inputs.conf:
[monitor:///var/log]
disabled = false
blacklist = lastlog|rootsh/[A-Za-z0-9].[0-9].[0-9a-fA-F]$|syslog-ng/.|.([0-9]|gz)$
whitelist = (.log|log$|messages|secure|auth|mesg$|cron$|acpid$|.out|.closed)

This pickes up all files in /var/log, EXCEPT /var/log/audit/*. The same happens if I comment out the blacklist and whitelist lines.

I'm at a loss here. Anyone have any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

samhughe
Path Finder

samhughe
Path Finder

Have you looked at https://wiki.splunk.com/Community:Troubleshooting_Monitor_Inputs in particular https://your-splunk-server:8089/services/admin/inputstatus/TailingProcessor:FileStatus ? Can be quite helpful in seeing why files aren't being processed.

tech8260

Wow, thanks, I didn't know about that (not sure how I missed that page). The inputstatus page was extremely helpful, turns out it was a permission issue as our splunk indexer is not running as root.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...