Splunk Search

List of newly created indexes in splunk in the last 30 days

sumaitasiddiky

I need a list of indexes that are newly created in the last 30 days and need the creation date of those indexes.

I have used this query :

| rest /services/data/indexes
| search totalEventCount > 0
| eval now=strftime(now(), "%Y-%m-%d")
| stats first(minTime) as first_date first(now) as now first(currentDBSizeMB) as currentDBSizeMB by title
| eval comparison_date=now()-30*86400 | sort - first_date | eval first_date=strptime(first_date,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%6N") | eval status=if(first_date

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could maintain such a list in a lookup, amend the lookup with a scheduled search using that REST call every day to add a creation date to a first-seen lookup, and then use that lookup to filter for last 30 days or whatever time range you need.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/tips-and-tricks/maintaining-state-of-the-union.html

View solution in original post

0 Karma

charlesmeo
Explorer

I believe this problem has wider ramifications. Please have a look at Splunk Ideas, for a proposal to integrate Splunk with Source Code Control: https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/E-I-7

This would address this problem and many others. SCC would maintain all your modification dates and revision history. You can furthermore splunk a git repo as well as the git metadata, to report both the available facts and the current code.

Because Splunk supports so many disparate ways to update your configuration--which is code when it comes right down to it--this has always been a problem. In the field there are many ingenious and occasionally really scary home-made solutions, which you have to have, or mature Splunk installations sooner or later become unmanageable.

If you support the notion of source code control integration for Splunk, please vote for the idea so it gets more traction.
Charles

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could maintain such a list in a lookup, amend the lookup with a scheduled search using that REST call every day to add a creation date to a first-seen lookup, and then use that lookup to filter for last 30 days or whatever time range you need.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/tips-and-tricks/maintaining-state-of-the-union.html

0 Karma

MaverickT
Communicator

What about this search query?

index=_audit action=indexes_edit operation=create
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should only tell you about indexes created via API / UI, not about indexes created via conf files (most common case in real-world environments with a separate indexing tier). Those don't have an easily accessible creation date.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...