Splunk Search

Large number of regular expressions in search field

tamnor
Explorer

Hi

I am a new Splunk user and at the moment I am using it to monitor the performance of the web applications of the insurance company that I work for. I want to be able to generate a report that shows the average response time against each web request as well as the number of instances of that request that were submitted for a given time period. A large number of the web requests have dynamic values in them for customer id, policy number, claim id, repair booking etc. I am using regular expressions to filter out the unique info and group the request together. So at the moment I have a search that looks like the following ..

index=arena_repairs_prod responseTime>5000 lodge | rex field=uri_path mode=sed "s/repair\/summary.html\?repairId=[0-9]+/repair\/summary.html?repairId=/" | rex field=uri_path mode=sed ....

So I just keep repeating the regular expressions one after the other in the search field. I can see that my search is going to become quite large.

Is this the best way to create a search like this, or is there someone of saving each of the regular expressions and just referring to them by a variable name?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

It would be better not to mess with the raw data but instead extract the endpoints you're interested in as fields and then group by that. So instead of

... | rex field=uri_path mode=sed "s/repair\/summary.html?repairId=[0-9]+/repair\/summary.html?repairId=/"

Couldn't you just check all requests to summary.html?

... | rex field=uri_path "^(?<requestedPage>[^?]+)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tamnor
Explorer

Hi. Thanks for the responses. This is no longer a problem as the indexing was changed so that the uri_path is an extracted field so I can group by this rather than the full url with all the dynamic values. There are still some dynamic values in the uri_path but not that many so my queries aren't too long.

0 Karma

GKC
Explorer

you might also find this website as a useful tool for regex

http://gskinner.com/RegExr/

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is a way to save regular expressions to have fields extracted automatically each time you search, without cluttering your query. You can use the interactive field extractor, or create extractions/transformations yourself.

IFX how-to: http://www.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAADUY
Field extraction in general: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/Knowledge/Aboutfields

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

It would be better not to mess with the raw data but instead extract the endpoints you're interested in as fields and then group by that. So instead of

... | rex field=uri_path mode=sed "s/repair\/summary.html?repairId=[0-9]+/repair\/summary.html?repairId=/"

Couldn't you just check all requests to summary.html?

... | rex field=uri_path "^(?<requestedPage>[^?]+)"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...